Waterbury Brass Company and Pompeian Bloom

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all! Haven't had a chance to get out and enjoy this wonderful weather we've been having until today. For some explicable reason, I am working 60 hour work weeks during my "dead" season, so I've been living vicariously through the great finds by fellow members' posts.

I was able to get out for a few hours today. I am 90 percent convinced I am on a 1920s home site that is no longer there. I've found a hem weight, door knobs, pieces of bowls, various pieces of ornate broken brass things. I can't find any maps that tell me there was a home there once but everything I'm digging is suggesting there was.

Today I found a half of a Pompeian Bloom compact. It appears, according to this site, that this particular style was only made between 1920-1925

Collecting Vintage Compacts: The History of The Pompeian Company - Part 1 - How a pink face cream became a million dollar business

122615f.jpg DSCN0211.jpg

I also found this small tag or token. I was very hopeful that it was a holed coin due the the ridge, but I couldn't make out any detail in the field. Getting it home and cleaning it up, I could make out the counterstamp on the back (front? dunno). It rang up at exactly 66 in all directions.

19 NG HARD

After further cleaning, I managed to make out the Waterbury Brass Co.

I was able to find this TNet thread that gave me some more history

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/282771-waterbury-token.html

If anyone has any additional information, specifically what the "NG" means, that would be great.

I also found 3 wheat pennies: 1922, 24, 25. Those aren't pictured. The coin shot is just for a size comparison of the WBC tag.

I only have at most, 2 hours per hunt but I am going to keep on hitting this spot slowly and methodically. I used the stock coil for the AT Pro today but I may break out my NEL for future hunts. It's not at all trashy so I switched out the 5x8 for this spot.

Happy hunting all! Enjoy the day (and the weather!)

-Jay

Attachments

• 122615a.jpg
    122615a.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 122615b.jpg
    122615b.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 122615c.jpg
    122615c.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 122615d.jpg