What's new

Waterproof detector??

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
2,078
Golden Thread
0
Location
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a buddy that is interested in getting a new machine. Not sure what he wants, but is looking towards a waterproof unit for the beach. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you can name a couple, I'll look into the prices and pros/cons, etc. thanks for any help.
 
I use a Fisher CZ20, highly recommend one. Easily converts to land use with a belt clip for mounting. I'd also recommend the 10.5 coil if you're going to stay on the beach or in the water most of the time.

Lots of folks here also use the Minelab Excalibur, another great water machine but I find it's construction to be a bit too clumsy for me. Or I'm a bit too clumsyfor it...

Tesoro has a great beach model and so does Whites. So the major makers all have some good machines for beach and water use.
 
Thanks Lowbatts. That gives me a place to start.
 
If your friend is only going to be using it for regular wet sand type hunting, he doesn't necessarily need a waterproof machine. Standard coin/land machines can be used on the beach too, and even have the coil submerged (d/t they're all waterproof). Only if your friend anticipates wading out to where the box will get sloshed, or only if he's going snorkeling or scuba, does he need a waterproof machine. I my Explorer all the time on the beach, for instance. And if I'm going in a pooring rain (for beach storm erosion, for example), I wrap up the box in plastic.

But if you do a LOT of storm/rain hunting, or are going in and out of waves where you constantly need waterproofing, then yes, an Excaliber is in order. But for casual beach hunting, not in deep water and rain, you don't necessarily need waterproof.
 
White's BHID or Tesoro Tiger Shark,Stingray 2. If your going to be in saltwater go with the BHID or the Excal. Also could consider a Headhunter VLF
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom