WD-40 on copper

Bean

Aug 3, 2008
Georgia
Anyone ever used wd-40 on copper pennies?
I've used it on pre 82 pennies just to get some of the stuck on crud off so I could read the date and mint mark
and it worked pretty good. Didn't make it look like new or take any of the tarnish off but it took the dirt and stuck
on grime off.
Just like to know if anybody else has tried this.

Bad?........Good?.........

Bean

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never anything newer then indians.

but yes I use WD

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have used it several times on artifacts to try to clean the dirt off, worked pretty good. It does however leave a corrosion-resistant film on the surface, they say to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements. I don't know if that would reduce the value of objects....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woody50 said:
Have used it several times on artifacts to try to clean the dirt off, worked pretty good. It does however leave a corrosion-resistant film on the surface, they say to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements. I don't know if that would reduce the value of objects....

it would depend on the person buying.

if they want to use the excuse to lower it's value so
they can try and get it cheaper yes.

I sold a Large cent once for Redbook value ($100.00) to a Coin dealer,
& I told him right out I put WD on it so the Detail could be seen better.

Certain Dealers would have told me it was ruined, offered me $10
& then sold for $100

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I can understand this. I can imagine dealers would try to get the lowest price and say something like that, and turn around and get much more for it. It's their world and it depends upon how many people you know in the bussiness, or how many clients your have! I'm pretty sure it's not damaging in any case, so why not. You have to be pretty careful when you sell something in this world we hobby in.... I don't sell things, but there will come a time of course, we don't live forever. And I have read that museums here are more not than likely take in a collection if its not archeology proven to be real and found legally, even if its free...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread