woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Does anyone use this product to clean their iron finds--rather than electrolysis?

If so, I'd love to see some photos.

Regards,
Buckleboy

I have not heard of it before, but looks like it might work. It is a navy jelly that appears to clean or remove rust from an item, and then leave an protective coating behind. But it appears that you also have to paint or further protect the object after treatment.

I would also be interested in any results if someone has used this method. Don't know if I can buy it here either....

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
yup, thats what i've been using but, i've never used electolysis so i can't say if it's as good
or better works for me though :) i use a wire brush, a pliers, even a file to get MOST of the
loose stuff off then i cook the moisture out note: the can says do not remove all of the rust ?
i spray it on it says within 30 minutes apply another coat if needed it does leave a shiny finish
which i do not like then i spray on flat black paint here's a photo of a chain trace sprayed
with EXTEND and 2 chain traces with a coat of flat black paint after the EXTEND
IMG_3082_2.jpg

IMG_3095_2.jpg

protect your eyes, nose, and mouth and use only in a well ventilated area !! ......outdoors

Attachments

• IMG_3082_2.jpg
    IMG_3082_2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3095_2.jpg
    IMG_3095_2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 271
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike in Berks said:
yup, thats what i've been using but, i've never used electolysis so i can't say if it's as good
or better works for me though :) i use a wire brush, a pliers, even a file to get MOST of the
loose stuff off then i cook the moisture out note: the can says do not remove all of the rust ?
i spray it on it says within 30 minutes apply another coat if needed it does leave a shiny finish
which i do not like then i spray on flat black paint here's a photo of a chain trace sprayed
with EXTEND and 2 chain traces with a coat of flat black paint after the EXTEND

protect your eyes, nose, and mouth and use only in a well ventilated area !! ......outdoors

Mike,

Thank you so much for your reply--and thank you for the photos. How long does the process take from start to finish?

Regards,

Buckleboy

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
start to finish ? all depends if your doing 1 piece or 10 for me 24 hours Extend 24 hrs paint
i had many pieces of iron in displays for 7 yrs after 7 yrs. i'd go to look at one or two displays
only to see how they were flaking away to nothing :o thats when i tryed Extend last summer
Electrolysis - remove the rust - heat the moisture out - add a coat of ? (many options)
Extend - remove most of the rust - heat the moisture out - add a coat of ? (many options)
the difference between electolysis and extend is ( as far as i know)........dangerous chemicals !!
here's a photo of the directions make sure you wear gloves - nasty stain on the hands
IMG_5130_2.jpg
and this is why i say well ventilated area !!
IMG_5132_2.jpg
and here is more examples of my iron after extend and paint after 1 yr. the 2 pieces marked
with yellow the top one is showing signs of rust it was flaking for yrs. and i probably didn't
prep it good enough
IMG_5129_2.jpg

which ever way you decide to try good luck :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool--if the results are basically equal, and the main difference is dangerous chemicals, I think I'll stick with cooking my iron. :P

By the way--is that item above the two marked pieces a handle from a cooking pot?

I've found two of 'em, and never could figure out what they were...

Regards,

Buckles

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I think I have some made by Permatex. It says it's bad news even if you accidently inhale it.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Cool--if the results are basically equal, and the main difference is dangerous chemicals, I think I'll stick with cooking my iron. :P
By the way--is that item above the two marked pieces a handle from a cooking pot?
Regards,
Buckles
I would think a simple horse or other buckle, to see on the lip from the top one...(no. 70)

Attachments

• buckle.jpg
    buckle.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 247
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woody50 said:
BuckleBoy said:
Regards,
Buckles
I would think a simple horse or other buckle, to see on the lip from the top one...(no. 70)

These are really heavy--at least the two or three I've found were--and there is no trace on any of them of a latch. :icon_scratch:

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
woody50 said:
BuckleBoy said:
Regards,
Buckles
These are really heavy--at least the two or three I've found were--and there is no trace on any of them of a latch. :icon_scratch:
OK, understand. I have seen some rectangle type of buckles, also a bit thick, that were used to join two belts. A sort of normal belt would go in each side connecting them. So really a connector, not a buckle. I can see a pin on the top one...

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
BuckleBoy i've dug 2 of them also i donated the 1 where it was found at the time i thought
it was a handle for maybe a wooden box ? ? ? but, when my historian (horse owner ) friend
saw it he said it was for the strap to a saddle - belly strap ? ? if you look at my photo - left middle
2nd piece in somebody posted one similar to that and Montana Jim ID'd it as a "Belly Cinch D Ring"
thats what my friend said that was for the same purpose any way mine is 3 1/2" wide 2" deep
1/4" thick at the short end ................HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread