What's new

Wedge used with celts

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
4,253
Reaction score
1,627
Golden Thread
0
I read that celts were used until they got slippage in the haft. The same with 3/4 grooved axe heads. I also read that a wedge was added in between the stone tool and haft to remedy the slippage.

image-2566410515.webp

The place to add the wedge is seen on the piece above. What I'm curious about is the wedge. What would it look like, have any been found, so on. I have had this wedge shaped stone for a great while now. It's been posted and geofact labeled. I still do not buy the geofact label. Could it be one of the wedges for a larger Celt?

image-1454108596.webp



image-3123623415.webp

Thanks for any thoughts
 
Upvote 0
I have never heard of the wedge being used that way. Makes sense though, I am interested as to what others say. What book did you read it in if you dont mind me asking? I might want to read it.
 
My thinking is that is one awful large wedge. I would think more along the lines of a shim for the right size to tighten something like what you are talking about up. Loose is one thing, but by the time a wedge that size was needed, I would think they would have just created a new handle. Just my 02 cents for what its worth.
 
It's not uncommon to find 3/4 grooved axes over 8 inches long and 5 inches wide. I have a 4/4 grooved that measures near those. The wedge I posted is 3 inches (pretty close guess)
 
nice finds congrats HH
 
It's not uncommon to find 3/4 grooved axes over 8 inches long and 5 inches wide. I have a 4/4 grooved that measures near those. The wedge I posted is 3 inches (pretty close guess)

I understand that, but 1/16 of an inch of gap will make an ax head, sledge hammer head loose on a modern day tool, and what do we use? A shim that will take up the slack. I am a concrete contractor, and when I have a sledge hammer head loosen up on me, I can get it tight again with an 8 penny nail. So, I guess my point is, an ancient tool would have likely been tightened up before it needed a wedge the size of what you are showing. Think about it.... How wide is your wedge?
 
I understand that, but 1/16 of an inch of gap will make an ax head, sledge hammer head loose on a modern day tool, and what do we use? A shim that will take up the slack. I am a concrete contractor, and when I have a sledge hammer head loosen up on me, I can get it tight again with an 8 penny nail. So, I guess my point is, an ancient tool would have likely been tightened up before it needed a wedge the size of what you are showing. Think about it.... How wide is your wedge?

You pretty well debunked my theory. I have used an old cut nail myself to shim loose axe heads. Not stone axe heads either, I don't use those. Lol! Thanks for showing me what my over thinking wouldn't. So, do you call geofact on the wedge, just curious what your thoughts are on it.
 
Quito, very good description. By the time that type of wedge would have fit, the axe/maul/celt would have gone flying off...

Some of the pacific northwest groups used a celt like tool as a wedge to split off cedar planks, often using several to split off a single board. If the piece has use wear vs just being a wedge shape piece of river rock, maybe it was used like that?
 
You pretty well debunked my theory. I have used an old cut nail myself to shim loose axe heads. Not stone axe heads either, I don't use those. Lol! Thanks for showing me what my over thinking wouldn't. So, do you call geofact on the wedge, just curious what your thoughts are on it.

Well, wedges come in many sizes and have several uses, so I will just leave it at that.
 
It's light weight and looks ground to a small bit to me. Looks almost like a wedge for wood splitting. Who knows? I'll hold on to it. Can't hurt me. Thanks for helping me guys!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom