What's new

Weekend dig finds

catherine1

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
1,817
Reaction score
1,080
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these knives/blades over the weekend digging. They are both hump backed 2 inches long. Made of similar material. The ground is starting to get dry. And so are the artifact finds. Thanks for viewing.
 

Attachments

  • sell2 031.webp
    sell2 031.webp
    291.8 KB · Views: 136
  • sell2 041.webp
    sell2 041.webp
    245.6 KB · Views: 95
  • sell2 036.webp
    sell2 036.webp
    273 KB · Views: 118
  • sell2 035.webp
    sell2 035.webp
    342.1 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
Nice finds, any ideas on the material? Brush creek?
 
Brush Creek is the word. Its about a hundred yards from where I dug these. I don't know if it local. I know the white flint I find is. Are you in pickway county?
 
Yeah I find a ton of different materials due to the Scioto river mainly the top 3 are delaware, Coshocton, flint ridge, but a hour drive east an ridge dominates I did find a nice bifurcate made of indiana hornstone in licking county this spring, amazing how flint moved around, never found any brush creek so far.
 
The white chert is what I find mostly broken as it is poor material. The better material is always a bonus when you find a whole artifact. And also when it is broke 9 put of 10 times. Its all the non flint artifacts that fill in the gap.
 
Wow those are nice looking material. Is that fossils in them? Can you find that stuff in bulk pieces?
 
Most of the material I find has fossils. Except for the translucent pieces Rock. There is a small ridge running off my site that heads towards the 7 acres owned by the Archaeological Conservancy. It turns into woods and I have been reluctant to check it out because of all the roots. But I think it will be worth a try. Supposed to get some rain over the next few days so I may get some moisture in the ground. Thanks for the replies!
 
If you can find a out crop of that stuff that isnt fractured and is solid let me know. How cold does it get in your area in the winter? If you can find it in the creek in about 3 ft of water and the current moves all yr long that would be the best stone.
 
The creek is deep water where I am located. But I take my kayak up it to where the riffles start on occasion. I will check it out the next time I venture up there and let you know if I find anything. The winters have been fairly mild the last couple of years. But you never know about the weather.
 
The white chert is what I find mostly broken as it is poor material. The better material is always a bonus when you find a whole artifact. And also when it is broke 9 put of 10 times. Its all the non flint artifacts that fill in the gap.
The white material might be four mile creek? Also Bisher chert might be some material youve found it outcrops down that way.
 
Cool little knives! :icon_thumright: Nice finds for the effort of the hunt.
 
Thanks guys. I did find a nice Adena point made of Bishon chert. It was probably one of my best flint finds. My advice to anyone who wants to dig is to check out the banks between the plowed fields and water source that have never been plowed. You would be surprised what you will find. And the farmers might let you dig if you fill in your holes good. Never hurts to ask. And you could exchange some farm work for the access. As the farm work will be easier than digging. LOL.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom