Weekend finds. A couple of firsts for me.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Friday afternoon after work I had time for a short hunt so I went to a lot beside a school a couple miles from my house. I have been there probably 20 or 25 times. There was a 1960's house there but it was torn down last fall and the school is going to make it a parking lot I think. The only old coins I have found there were 1 Merc, a few wheats and oddly, 5 Buffalo Nickels all within a few yards of each other.

So I got a good high tone and about 2 inches down I pulled a large coin. I was hoping it might be might first large cent and that's what it turned out to be. It's in really bad shape, but I was able to barely make out the date of 1818. My first largie and my oldest US coin by far.

Saturday I braved the cold and brutal wind and went to a new place. I hadn't been there long when I got a nickel signal. I was hoping it might be a Buffalo but turned out even better. My first V nickel. It was in very poor shape, but I was able to tell what it was and get a date off of it. (1907)

A little while later I found the Merc and I decided I couldn't fight the cold/wind any longer and called it a day. I do have a photo of the Merc in the hole but it's on my phone and I'm too lazy to get it off there right now. :laughing7:

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.
Bill

Upvote 13

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im happy for you its great there is still a date. I keep all my silver and old coins in a glass case. That is a great addition to any collection I always kind of move and dig dirt around the area I found the coin sometimes I find more Great Job!!!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great series of hunts when you pull a LC a V nickel and the silver dime. Congrats there.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on knocking 2 off the bucket list. Unfortunately most V nickels and LC's come up in exactly the shape you found the. It's still exciting to find them. Way to go!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job. Fine looking coins to me! [emoji106]

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer finds my man. Congrats on the firsts. The 1818 LC is really good find! dates on both the old coins too!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on both of your "firsts". At least you were able to get a date off that Large Cent.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on knocking 2 off the bucket list. Unfortunately most V nickels and LC's come up in exactly the shape you found the. It's still exciting to find them. Way to go!

Thanks! The soil around here is not very kind to coppers. Honestly, it's probably even in worse shape than the pictures indicate. lol I had to catch it at just the right angle to be able to see the date.

Killer finds my man. Congrats on the firsts. The 1818 LC is really good find! dates on both the old coins too!

Thanks man! Was shocked to find it at a house site that wasn't old. Best I could tell from old aerial photos that area probably used to be pasture.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the coin recoveries! Glad you were able to find two new types. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread