What's new

Weekend Hunts: Coins & Cannons

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2014
Messages
10,082
Reaction score
17,067
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The weather in NC was nice this weekend. Springtime is almost here, the flowers have started blooming at the Honey Hole.

86460B63-7F59-415F-BB67-7DF8590D3E63.webp889D30EA-1D2F-4BE4-B724-637253BDD66B.webp

I went for a solo hunt on Saturday. All of the good signals have been hunted out of the Honey Hole, but there are still some iffy signals, and if you dig enough of them, you might find something. I will skip all the clad and trash. I found 5 wheaties and a Buffalo. I squeaked out a 47 Rosie, which makes 33 silver coins from this spot.

2F767D42-92D3-48F6-A334-FADE03BE99EE.webpB676EA2C-C3BF-4855-97AC-FB3FB914C2B5.webp

I found this little lead toy frog. He is sitting on a dime. I really like lead toys, and this place was loaded with them. This one was made in Britain by John Hill & Co.

E1E06ECC-F918-4BD0-B560-DA31D7545803.webp78830D42-026D-450E-9986-D4C63C184C33.webp

I found this Hopalong Cassidy junk kids ring. I included a pic of Hoppy, showing off his guns.

83D9FFF7-28F2-4415-A053-87E0B14615FB.webp5498F465-CB76-4246-84A5-9233C845881D.webp

Sunday I met Smittyman to continue the fun at the Honey Hole.I managed to find 4 wheaties and 2 buffalos. I stopped on the way home and scouted a spot, it coughed up an 1882 IHC, as well as a clad Kennedy half... that’s an odd couple, huh?

61299ABA-FC6D-4B91-83F1-72373B98E361.webp87EE1E7E-86AA-4F47-83A1-C2DED3398B7D.webp

When this bracelet came out out of the hole, I knew the chain was junk, but had high hopes that the heart lock charm was good. That big spot scared me, as it looked like popped plating.

132862E4-BBF3-4460-9EE5-97DE7764A48E.webp5FB30E9C-43AA-4523-8A6C-EF617DEE292D.webp

A careful search of the immediate area resulted in the recovery of the back piece, and the emblem that had adorned the front. It’s from UNC, which is a famous school around here.

AB672037-E15C-4322-8862-ECDB9B50CD8F.webpB0037DF7-5196-44A9-83BB-C1885304FCBD.webp

Last, but not least, one of the results of digging all the signals, is cool relics appear occasionally. As best I can tell, this is an artillery hat pin.

FCD8E38A-9826-48C7-BFAC-EB51B119D950.webp

Here are are a couple of group shots.

865D326C-04AD-499C-9EC9-28FC8391BF40.webpDB829A98-96ED-4ADC-B85A-69DC0D2FEE7B.webp

Thanks for looking and best of luck on your hunts.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 92
Congratualtions on the excellent multi-find hunt! :occasion14:
 
Somebody had a busy day, Congrats, great finds.
 
Those were very nice iffy signals,and that honey hole has produced some great finds for you.
 
Nice assortment, congrats on the silver and IH.
 
Weekend Hunts: Coins & Cannons

That is an awesome weekend and fun variety. Nice job CT!
 
Super finds! I really like the Hopalong Cassidy ring, true Americana. You sure pull some unique stuff out of the ground.
 
Holy cow Tom, what an assortment of finds. you are a cleaning machine. very cool finds in so many ways. cool factor is very high
 
Tom very nice wide variety of finds, Congrats
 
You did very well at the honey hole. I like the ring, probably one of the coolest junk rings I've seen posted.
 
Nice bunch of finds, Tom. Well done.
 
Nice Tom! I’m curious how old the cannon pin is
 
Great hunt Tom! I also wonder about the age of the crossed cannons. Also like the Frog.
That's been a great site for you Bud. See you soon.
 
We all need a honey hole like yours... 33 silvers is huge. Congrats on your finds!
 
I would consider that a good days work,with some interesting clean up later on.....Bonz
 
Nice finds Tom. :icon_thumright:
 
Congrats on a couple of very productive hunts!
 
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Relic Nut & Mangum here are some more pics of the cannons. I know they have been making them for a long time, but I don’t think these are very old. The back is really sharp edged and flat, looks like it hasn’t been in the ground all that long. Maybe WW2, maybe later is my best guess.

8617DB19-E490-454B-9FA9-270611122F7E.webp60191470-6F54-4EEF-9274-0591815B6E7A.webp
 
Tom, you are out of control,
Excellent job on all your finds.
Congratulations
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom