Weekend Road Trip yields Quarter Slam!!!, Indian Tribe, MUCH more...

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
Headed East to NW Ohio and Northern Indiana to spend a weekend driving town to town and hunting sites I researched or hunted previously. 1st stop made the whole weekend! Hunting a town square in Somewhere, Ohio I pulled up a ton of signals, including a few big silver coins. I started with a 1942 Walker and then 4 Quarters - 1853 Seated, 1892O Barber, Slick Stander, and 1945 Washington for a Quarter Grand Slam!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
18oct10qslamfront.JPG

I'm still stunned by the amazing amount of luck involved in that achievement!! Also found an 1867 2 Cent Piece, Barber Dimes, Mercs, Roosy dime, silver ring, a few Indians and other keepers! What a start to a Road Trip! This square had been hunted pretty good, but most of my targets came out of very minerallized and iron infested ground around 1 side and my Explorer did good sniffing them out.
Here's the finds from just this first site:

18oct10cthsefinds.JPG

I spent the rest of Saturday, Sunday, and Monday covering other sites and added many more goodies to the finds total. 3 days and 1,400 miles later I had a nice haul to tote home!

Here's the Tribe of 19 Indians including a key date 1867:

18oct10indians.JPG

This is the 20 pieces of silver found:

18oct10silver.JPG

Here's the other coins... 1867 2 cent piece, 63 wheats - one stamped with a Masonic logo - 4 V Nickels, a nice 1854-1904 50th anniversary Medal from U.S. Express Co.:
18oct10othercoins.JPG

Here's some other odds and ends and jewelry:
18oct10misc.JPG

Here's the grand total for the finds:
18oct10nut.JPG

Thanks for looking, take care and HH, Mike.

Upvote 0
chukers said:
You said "This square had been hunted pretty good" think again that is a virgin site!

You don't know how rare it is to find a site like that!

Targets like those just don't get missed...

WTG! Good job finding such a great place! Keep after it!

Chukers

Sure would be nice if it was! I'd still be there digging up coins ;D I actually hunted this spot several years ago and did good then, not near as good as this trip though. Once you get out into the open ground away from the edges that are full of iron, trash, and mineralized ground, you can't get a decent signal without a lot of swinging. The ground was pretty dry which helped cut down the masking effect on the buried coins and pretty much contributed to a small window of opportunity to detect targets that were too tough to get at other times.. I'll give it another try sometime in the future if I make it back out there. HH, Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back