Return visit to sailing ship cufflink site

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to get back to the new site I found last week where I found the 18th century sailing ship cufflink and few other relics and give it a good and thorough search. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,357073.0.html It took me awhile to find the site but after finally reaching the depressions in the ground I started a very thorough search pattern, which involved moving downed branches and fallen smaller trees.
newhomestead.jpg
After a few minutes I got a button sounding tone on the detector, and Tombac showed in the dirt pile. As I scanned the hole a bit more, to see if anything else was there, I got another reading, not quite as good as the Tombac button but a relic for sure and one more scoop with my hand revealed a pair of cufflinks, still attached as a pair with the metal link! Of coure I was hoping it was two more sailing ship cufflinks, but I could see right away that these were different and basically have a "decorative" design.
Cufflinksintherough.jpg
cufflinksdecorativefreshoutofdirt.jpg
I searched the entire area and after being convinced that no old coins were going to appear I called it quits. The hunt yielded 3 Tombacs, 1 broken Pewter Spoon, the decorative cufflinks and and a piece of broken off copper with some plain designs on it.
18Octfindsobv.jpg
18Octfindsrev.jpg
The cuffliinks are a little worst for wear but they cleaned up pretty good.
DecorativeCufflnksBefAft.jpg
Everything found in the two hunts indicate to me it was a short duration cabin site of one indivdual and most likely occupied 1780-1790s time frame only. No clams shells,ceramics, or other debris were found in any of the diggings and the area of iron hits was tiny in comparison to most homesteads in the area.

The funny thing is, this is the second small homestead in the immediate area that has produced cufflinks, tombac buttons, large diameter buttons but no coins............... All the other numerous sites that are bigger in the area all produced well for me over the past few years.

Don

Upvote 0
I got your email this morning, but was too tired to respond. You have not found any coins yet, but the relics are taking up the slack. Those cufflinks would be a welcome display item in my house anytime of the week. I agree with you that the home was only occupied for a short, short amount time (5 years or so). Congrats again, Don, on recovering Colonial history on SJ soil. Life sure is great!

Kirk :hello:

Weird little site, huh? Whoever was there didn't stay long and didn't lose much, but you added two more cufflink types to your collection! Nice weather for digging right now, lets take advantage of it!!

Don,

As I said in the email, you will find at least one there. It will be a goodie, too. I see a nice New Jersey copper!

I love those early cufflinks just as much!

what is it with you & linked cuffs, :P :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER said:

I was thinking the same thing! I think he changed his detector setting from coin to cuff. :laughing7:

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

I was thinking the same thing! I think he changed his detector setting from coin to cuff. :laughing7:

I guess the XS has to be nearly 10 years old before that "cuff mode" starts working ;D

I believe that is my 11th pair of cufflinks, not all with the links still attached, some to rotten to hold together, other pairs were found on different hunts, a couple a few years apart. But in the past two years, the paired cuffs have been appearing, and I sure am not complaining.

I do know that size cufflink, the smaller oval shaped ones would probably be ignored by some since the signal I receive is a diggable signal, but not one that gets your hopes up, more like expecting an old buckshot pellet to appear in the pile :)

Don

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

;D :laughing9: thats funny

Hey Don like I said I think theres more worth lookin for around the 2 sites but Im a diehard :P
Nice finds again :thumbsup:

Hey Don those are some very good looking cufflinks, Congrats on them. I would still say there is a coin lurking at that site. :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

sweet cuff link!!! MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back