Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been using up the vacation days lately. The weather has been cooperating, so I have been hunting as much as possible. Here is a run down of the latest finds.

Thursday:
Went out with Smittyman to hit some vacant lots and old tear downs. Unfortunately, I saw MDing plugs at the site, so I knew that we were not the first to hit this spot. We were at the correct spot, as 13 wheaties showed up. I also got a Canadian cent. And the highlight of the day, a '51 Rosie.

Friday
Smittyman insisted upon returning to the site that the Rosie came from. He brought along his good luck charm, Zeke, however nothing else surfaced. We went to another area, and I got a couple of wheaties, a Sacagewea and a '41 Washington.

Saturday
I went to some apartments built in the 1940s. I was able to scratch up 4 wheaties and a 1947 Half Penny. I really liked it because it was mostly green. I can only assume that people living in England find these by the handful, and probably consider it to be their zincoln, but around here, you don't see them everyday.

I hunted with Todd Lipe on Sunday, but only found a few wheaties. The real treasure on that hunt was the good company!

Those are silver coins #58 & #59 YTD.

Thanks for looking and good luck on your hunts!

Attachments

• IMG_20141218_191316_532-1.jpg
    IMG_20141218_191316_532-1.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20141219_113056_866-1.jpg
    IMG_20141219_113056_866-1.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20141219_190326_498-1.jpg
    IMG_20141219_190326_498-1.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20141220_185248_357-1.jpg
    IMG_20141220_185248_357-1.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Upvote 16

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty darn nice finds, that XP is working for you

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those half penny's are cool looking coins. Way to scratch out a few tough ones bud. I have to tell you how much respect I have for you guys that live in highly populated areas. I literally can go 15 minutes from my house in any direction and be on a huge area with great history. Lots of them are town owned areas that have been donated years ago. One is 1900 acres and had lots of 18th century homesteads. I don't even consider looking at 19th century sites right now. There's tons of 17th and 18th century sites to hunt. I could easily pull a GW or Spanish silver on any hunt. As you know I get skunked sometimes and I'm good with that. But other times I end up on a colonial hot spot that produces lots of great old finds. Other times the detecting gods smile on me and I find something incredible.
You guys don't have it easy and I recognize that. Lots of respect for the fact that you stick with it no matter the obstacles. Your spoiled NE buddy, Abe :-)

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Those half penny's are cool looking coins. Way to scratch out a few tough ones bud. I have to tell you how much respect I have for you guys that live in highly populated areas. I literally can go 15 minutes from my house in any direction and be on a huge area with great history. Lots of them are town owned areas that have been donated years ago. One is 1900 acres and had lots of 18th century homesteads. I don't even consider looking at 19th century sites right now. There's tons of 17th and 18th century sites to hunt. I could easily pull a GW or Spanish silver on any hunt. As you know I get skunked sometimes and I'm good with that. But other times I end up on a colonial hot spot that produces lots of great old finds. Other times the detecting gods smile on me and I find something incredible.
You guys don't have it easy and I recognize that. Lots of respect for the fact that you stick with it no matter the obstacles. Your spoiled NE buddy, Abe :-)

Thanks Abe (AKA: Pine Tree Boy), that means a lot. We hunt relatively modern places. It would be nice to have really old places to hunt, but I just don't have access to places like that. We hunt houses built before 1955 (almost all built after 1900), as well as "tear downs" and vacant lots that once had housing. Occasionally we hunt schools and parks, but around here, most schools are newly built, and all are well gone over, so not much appears.

Just getting out and hunting is the real reward, I have a few really nice people to hunt with, and that makes it all good for me. And... I do find, what I consider to be, treasure. I have been able to recover 59 silver coins in the last 9 months.

Thanks again, and hope that you have a nice holiday season!

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the silver. That poor Washington has had a rough time.

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the silver. That poor Washington has had a rough time.

Thanks Reed.

I don't know what happened to that Washington. When I pulled it out, it was covered with a grayish white chalky layer, I thought that it was dirt. When I cleaned the coin, it was badly pitted under the chalky layer. I have never recovered one this pitted before. Maybe it was fertilizer or something... whatever it was, it chewed that coin up and spit it out!

Attachments

• IMG_20141219_210909.jpg
    IMG_20141219_210909.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 100

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Reed.

I don't know what happened to that Washington. When I pulled it out, it was covered with a grayish white chalky layer, I thought that it was dirt. When I cleaned the coin, it was badly pitted under the chalky layer. I have never recovered one this pitted before. Maybe it was fertilizer or something... whatever it was, it chewed that coin up and spit it out!

I'll take that poor old pitted quarter off your hands. I know it don't look right with all your shiny silver.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I kind of like George's pitted face,it has character!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1/2 penny is a cool find. That Washington sure took a beating. Good to see you Saturday. Zeke didn't like me too much lol

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
1/2 penny is a cool find. That Washington sure took a beating. Good to see you Saturday. Zeke didn't like me too much lol

Thanks Josh.
Don't feel bad about Zeke, he bit my hand on Thursday! He is a vicious little monster.

Attachments

• IMG_20141219_112444_377-1.jpg
    IMG_20141219_112444_377-1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 90

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you had some luck Tom. Have you used all your days yet? Good luck on the next one.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OH SHUT UP ABE!!!!! Quit rubbing it in!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say Tom I am not sure you should have posted a photo of that really ugly silver Washington. I was going to mention this yesterday but saw your post falling off the first page and decided to wait till today. As the year draws to a close, and I find myself in LAST PLACE in the NON-COMPETITION for finding the most silver coins in the year I wanted to tell you something. Oh wait, I probably shouldn't post that here. I will say though the year isn't quite over with yet and I am only 1 silver coin behind you and Smittyman. And if I do end up the BIGGEST LOSER there is always next year.

Congratulations on a very strong first year in the hobby. Your perseverance, dedication, and love of the hobby is an inspiration to us all. So what if we don't have any historic areas to hunt (Hate you Abe) with 19th century home sites we bypass cause they're too new? We can either move or be content finding what's here and that's all. Smittyman and I both hope one day to become experienced and proficient hunters like you. Also, Lisa wanted me to tell you that you are invited up for Christmas dinner.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you guys had some fun! At least y'all were able to get out, I've been stuck at home since Fri. working on the honeydoo list my wife gave me

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Carolina Tom looks like that Deus has been treating you well. I am pretty new to it, what frequency do you find is the best for coinshooting? Seems everything I read people all have different opinions.

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to say Tom I am not sure you should have posted a photo of that really ugly silver Washington. I was going to mention this yesterday but saw your post falling off the first page and decided to wait till today. As the year draws to a close, and I find myself in LAST PLACE in the NON-COMPETITION for finding the most silver coins in the year I wanted to tell you something. Oh wait, I probably shouldn't post that here. I will say though the year isn't quite over with yet and I am only 1 silver coin behind you and Smittyman. And if I do end up the BIGGEST LOSER there is always next year.

Congratulations on a very strong first year in the hobby. Your perseverance, dedication, and love of the hobby is an inspiration to us all. So what if we don't have any historic areas to hunt (Hate you Abe) with 19th century home sites we bypass cause they're too new? We can either move or be content finding what's here and that's all. Smittyman and I both hope one day to become experienced and proficient hunters like you. Also, Lisa wanted me to tell you that you are invited up for Christmas dinner.

Thanks Jay, that means a lot.

You know my deal, I am not competitive, I just like to find the silver coins. It has been a good first year, I put a lot of effort into it, but I have some nice memories. The fun of hunting with you and the other boys has been the real reward.

Tell Lisa thanks for the invite please.

As soon as it quits raining, I plan to hunt some more. I am off of work the week of New Years, so hopefully I can get a few more silvers before years end. That leaves me 6 days left to hunt this year. We shall see where the chips fall!

Thanks again. GL&HH!

PS: Every time Abe finds something good, I put another pin in my "Abe Doll". I am not sure that it hurts him, but it makes me feel good inside!

Attachments

• images3RDYH9SD.jpg
    images3RDYH9SD.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Abe, I had to laugh at this one! Damn Tom, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this post! Looks like your'e in the cross hairs Abe! LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread