What's new

Weekend unpredicted finds; old fields

CTwoods

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2015
Messages
349
Reaction score
417
Golden Thread
0
Location
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a bizarre weekend MD'ing. Long post, but even though I did not find "banner finds", I actually had "interesting" fun for a change.

2+ years ago, I found an old cornfield that must have had a very early undocumented home. I hunt it every fall after the corn is cut, and find countless cool early things every time. Curiosity got the best of me two weeks ago when I saw they harrowed the field, so I tried it now, instead of the agony of waiting till fall...

I swear I was there 2-3 minutes and got the slick large copper at 1 or 2" deep. But just then, I saw new seeds which means it was just planted, so I left, so not to damage their planting.

So, Saturday...the corn is now growing...and it was killing me, thinking there must be dozens of new goodies just waiting for me. So I was careful not to damage the plants, and I was shocked I could not get any signals at all for an hour, but did finally get a late (non-fatty) 1864 Indian head in nice shape. This field only has given coins from 1726 to 1821, so that is a "modern coin" he, he

But I spent another hour and never got another decent target. And then my old 8" coil went nuts instantly, falsing beyond belief...so I quit. The field was wet from rain, so I figured water got into it.

Sunday AM, I took the coil 5 feet out my back door to test it now that it dried out overnight. I instantly got a solid mid tone, and dug the heavy silver plated teaspoon which is marked on the front ""THE BURRIT". Web search says it was a upscale Hotel in New Britian CT which was built in 1920. Two feet away, I got the blazer gilt button with a P monogram; the past owner that lived here for 35 years had a P last name. geez..

So I grabbed my other machine with a 5.5" coil and went to a bigger early cornfield that almost never gives up an old find, except for 3 small flat buttons, a shattered early spoon bowl, and a totally wasted large copper...in many DOZENS of hunts. Well, after two hours all I had was the unbroken brass "half frame" harness buckle, but got a lower hit like the normal bits of aluminum animal tags that come in with the manure from the barns. It sure looked like another balled up tag, but it is a silver ring marked Sterling. WTH.. :) I straightened it out, and it kind of looks art deco, not sure. I never find rings where I hunt LOL. The mangled ring as found, is right below the spoon in the pic. How old is it? (There was iron in the hole which made it a low tone ID).

Also got the heavy, solid iron thing that looks like a thumb with a point??? Cattle prod? IDK

The ox horn knob at the top came from that field on Friday. The bakelite? eyeglass frame and brass furniture came from some woods...dumpsite I think.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0588.webp
    DSCN0588.webp
    134.6 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN0597.webp
    DSCN0597.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN0599.webp
    DSCN0599.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 18
Congrats on your bodacious relics - ring and large/small cents finds and I agree this would have made my day - thanks for sharing your pictures and story with all of us - wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED
 
That ring certainly has that art deco look to it.

Congrats on the nice finds!
 
Some pretty interesting finds. I can't help but wonder what kind of stone was in that big silver ring!
 
Oregon corn fields just don't have any of that swag. :( Of course, we don't have many corn fields period. We've sure got lots of other fields, though. ;)
 
Why cant I ever have a hunt like! that Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!111
 
nice finds man I got a field I cant wait till the corn is gone!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom