Weighted sterling....Scrap it or Sell it ???

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked these up last weekend at GW for what I thought was a (buck 99) each. Turns out that day, pink tags are half off, so I got these 8 inch sterling weighted candlesticks for a total of (2 bucks and some change) for the pair. They have a nice look to them and I'm undecided on either busting them down and knowing what the cleaned up sterling is by weight or sell them online?...Looking on eBay, I may get more by saving them in the original condition. Not sure what I can get out of them in scrap as there's only one way I know to find out the true sterling weight. If they were the smaller short candlesticks or if I only found one like these, there'd be no questions as to what I'd do to them. It be crusher time for silver. I'm thinking I could maybe get as much as (75 bucks) for the pair on eBay. I cleaned one up to see how they would look all nice and pretty. I also found the next day - same store - one weighted sterling salt shaker for $4.99 and it wasn't half off pink tag anymore. That'll be smashed and added to the silver pile. "Srap or Sell intact these pair of candlesticks".....What do you guy's think?

Attachments

• sterling candlesticks 1.jpg
    sterling candlesticks 1.jpg
    882.9 KB · Views: 553
  • sterling candlesticks 2.jpg
    sterling candlesticks 2.jpg
    829.1 KB · Views: 844
  • sterling candlesticks 3.jpg
    sterling candlesticks 3.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 484

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I didn't even know they had vanilla cokes zero that looks good!! Is it? Plus they do look pretty nice unless they're all dented I think I'd keep them as is.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you can get more than melt. I have seen some youtube videos where guys smash those and they weigh about 20grams each for silver content. check out scrap gold expert on you tube. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They might be heavy plated silver too. I'd try to sell them on Ebay as you would get more than silver prices. You can leave them as is and send them to ARA refineries.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't even know they had vanilla cokes zero that looks good!! Is it? Plus they do look pretty nice unless they're all dented I think I'd keep them as is.
12 pack of that vanilla coke zero only last a day and half in this house. It is good! They only have a few dents on the base. I do think I'll sell as great items for the dinner table this holiday season.

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They might be heavy plated silver too. I'd try to sell them on Ebay as you would get more than silver prices. You can leave them as is and send them to ARA refineries.

Did not know ARA would take weighted pieces. Always reading about folks working to strip off the silverplate.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dismantled a few of these weighted silver pieces over the years. If I was to guess I'd think these would have a bit more then 20g each on these, but you never know untill you take them apart. I may just clean them up and auction or do a buy now this weekend. The more I look at them the more I want to crush them just to add to the pile of sterling I've got going. 40 grams of sterling only has an actual value of 26 bucks with todays price and no scraper pays spot price for scrap silver.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dismantled two weights sterling canle holders, and got about 8 Ozt out of them. took about a little time, but worth it. Sold the little scraps on the bay, and got very close to melt. NICE!

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weighted pieces are usually only around 15-20% silver by weight. They have a silver skin over cement.
ARA will take them if you breakem up and peal off the skin. If you do decide to breakem up , wear leather gloves the thin silver skin is very sharp!

I would sell them on ebay if they are in good shape.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is nothing wrong with them, you should easily be able to get more than scrap value. Research the pattern on replacements.com and see what they are going for.

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013

I just called them. After 10 minutes, I have decided I am an idiot for selling scrap gold and silver on eBay!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I just called them. After 10 minutes, I have decided I am an idiot for selling scrap gold and silver on eBay!

I've been selling to ARA for a couple years. Policy used to be that weighted items had to be torn down. When you talked with them did you ask if you can send weighted items whole? Even if allowed I'm not sure the extra postage cost would make the time saved worthwhile.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I put silver on eby it was 11 collector spoons with a buy now under scrap value - It got no takers. I never thought it a good idea to send my pm's to an out of area buyer, but I think I need to look into these ARA folks as you all mention. I've never herd of them. This morning I put on my dish washing gloves and cleaned up the other stick to get them ready to sell online. Thanks all!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herer are your candlesticks on Ebay that sold for $177.50- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Empire...414245?pt=Antiques_Silver&hash=item2583b430e5

Here they are for $36.99 at the moment- Vintage Empire Sterling Weighted 40 Candlesticks | eBay

edit- ​ I just noticed the condition of the ones listed now, pretty bad- scrap value.

For what it's worth, I don't sell any scrap or run of the mill silver or gold on Ebay. I used to sell my gold (scrap and good) and I have sold some silver coin rolls in the past too. I used to start my precious metal auctions at .99, but I was never disappointed with my end price. Nowadays I usually keep all my gold and silver. The exception is some silver items. Any silver I sell has to be worth at least 2-3 times over melt before I will sell it on Ebay. Today I found a Tiffany & Co. sterling ink pen. That will be getting sold no doubt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! diggum,

I only looked at a few completed sales on sterling weighted sticks. Nice to see a pair like mine did what those ones did. Not sure why the person with the pair on the now running auction didn't clean those up any? I did tag them in the watch list to see how they do...No dought on some sterling being worth more then weight. My best small piece of sterling that sold for 'way' more then scrap was a vintage 1930s Georg Jensen of Denmark. It sold for allot. Good luck with the T&Co pen. This is a sterling pencil I picked up for 3 bucks and a fellow offered 100 to close the auction and sell to him before it had any bids. I declined his offer and got 150 bucks for it in the end. Not bad for maybe 6,7 grams of sterling. The pencil was made by Edward Todd Co. They closed up and stopped making writing insturments after the crash of 29'. The pics are the day I got it, after I cleaned it and the mark I only found by chance on "Marks 925/1000 site" as I was researching other marks. I have myself put the resale of scrap PM's on hold, as I too am holding them for now. I will though barter and trade with the PM's for a better deal on something and that has worked out very well in some cases.

Attachments

• edward todd pencil.jpg
    edward todd pencil.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 285
  • Edward Todd pencil uncleaned.jpg
    Edward Todd pencil uncleaned.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 271
  • edward todd mark.jpg
    edward todd mark.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 295

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread