What's new

Weird animal fin/tail/flipper HELP

Detector mom

Full Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
129
Reaction score
268
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
white's mdx 300; simplex plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, this is driving my friends and I nuts. Found in dried up stream in northern NJ. Lots of wildlife in the area; thought it might be a beaver tail, but it isn't shaped right. Very old; bony cartilage, almost like leather...

thanks!
 

Attachments

  • animal tail front with measure.webp
    animal tail front with measure.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 86
  • animal tail from river.webp
    animal tail from river.webp
    34 KB · Views: 96
It's a scapula (shoulder blade). I would guess from a deer. This is from a white-tail:

Scapula.webp
 
Upvote 0
My first thought was a whitetail deer scapula as well.

I spend a lot of time and concern on defeating them with a broadhead from my recurve bows if I strike a bit too high.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with Red-Coat and Charlie P. As a deer hunter of over 35 years, I have seen a lot of those (because I butcher my own deer).
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom