Weird Fishing Lure Thingy -- An Attachment??

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
A while back someone gave me a bunch of old wooden fishing lures to sell online.

I went through and researched them as best I could, and even bought a book on lures. Most of them in that batch I had were made by small tackle companies in the Seattle area, circa 1930s and 40s. One of those companies was "Martin".

This weird lure thingy here is marked "MARTIN" and came from that same batch, so it is probably also from circa 1930s to 40s. I'm wondering what it is? My best guess is that it was an attachment for an existing lure to give it more hooks?!? Is that right? I never saw anything like that in the lure book or online or anything. At least, I didn't see it. If that is right, is there a particular name for such a device? Or is it for something else entirely?

The interior is hollow, and open to that 'clamp'-looking device there on the end with the spring-loaded pincers.

The plastic part measures 1.5" long.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• hooker.jpg
    hooker.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 5,837

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
The live bait cli[p sounds good but another idea, does it look like it might have had a second piece that clipped on behind it, maybe like an old stinkbait lure? I don't know if they had something like that back then and just kinda thinking/wondering.

Upvote 0

Thor!

Aug 30, 2005
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
1280X & Sovereign
rck_1 said:
I agree this is for holding some sort of live bait but, its not a frog.

its illegal to use any kind of live frog for fishing.

It's not illegal to use froggies in "The peoples Republic Massachusetts". Which is surprising to say the least giving the tree hugging "creatures first, plants second, people last" mentallity around here. FROGS have rights to!!!
This is from the fishing laws:
Bait: Permit required to take baitfish for purpose of sale.
Frogs (except leopard frogs) 2-1/2" or less snout to vent may
be used as bait; 10 daily, 10 in possession. May not be sold.

PS MMMMMM baby ducklings

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
rck_1 said:
I agree this is for holding some sort of live bait but, its not a frog.

its illegal to use any kind of live frog for fishing.

it is perfectly legal to use a live frog for fishing around here. they can be bought in tackle shops all over the place. its fairly common.

Upvote 0

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
I remember my great uncle had a simular set up he used with pork rind 45 years ago. The spring does't look like it's made to go into something alive or fleshy (not pointed,no barbs) My .02. Cladius.

Upvote 0
C

cartographerdave

Hiya Guys and Girls

Here is a picture of the modern equivalent to this - it is specifically for mounting a dead bait for trolling or sink and draw fishing to catch any toothy predator. They work too.

Attachments

• deadbait holder.jpg
    deadbait holder.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 3,505
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread