Weird Fishing Lure Thingy -- An Attachment??

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
A while back someone gave me a bunch of old wooden fishing lures to sell online.

I went through and researched them as best I could, and even bought a book on lures. Most of them in that batch I had were made by small tackle companies in the Seattle area, circa 1930s and 40s. One of those companies was "Martin".

This weird lure thingy here is marked "MARTIN" and came from that same batch, so it is probably also from circa 1930s to 40s. I'm wondering what it is? My best guess is that it was an attachment for an existing lure to give it more hooks?!? Is that right? I never saw anything like that in the lure book or online or anything. At least, I didn't see it. If that is right, is there a particular name for such a device? Or is it for something else entirely?

The interior is hollow, and open to that 'clamp'-looking device there on the end with the spring-loaded pincers.

The plastic part measures 1.5" long.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• hooker.jpg
    hooker.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 5,837

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a top water poper the pincers hold a live or dead frog in place ,string goes over its back,the hooks go behind the legs ??? ??? ??? ???

Upvote 0

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me like the front where you tie your line on is the "diver" part, it allows it to dive down into the water with the pressure against it it gets forced down into the water.
Where the metal extends? Maybe it's missing the body to the lure?

Also, why isn't it rusted a bit, the metal looks clean and new. Even if it were from the 30's or so I think it should have some discoloring?

The strings with hooks, most likely "trailers" used to entice strikes from larger fish. Minnows will follow some other fish and makes for a very attractive bait for fish looking to eat.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, Agree on the froggie thingie. Dig is essentially correct, except that the blades are fashioned to force the lure to the surface, not down.

A frog is most vulnerable while on the surface swimming, so it either gets out of the water or dives to the bottom where it can hide. If there is no apparent danger it may just float on the surface since a static object doesn't attract a fish very readily.

This lure is designed to keep the pore froggie on the surface, apparently swimming.

Sort a reminds me of towing a diver on a diving plane in shark waters hehehehe.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diving doc said:
dekalb33 said:
a top water poper the pincers hold a live or dead frog in place ,string goes over its back,the hooks go behind the legs ??? ??? ??? ???

Right on the money.

Doc
;D ;D

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good id dekalb.I guess you could also attach a live shiner to it instead of a frog if you wanted to.The pinchers would go through the eyes of the shiner.However it was more than likely designed with a frog in mind ,at least with that hook set up.A different rigging on the string and hooks could provide a better set up for Golden Shiners.
Anybody have much luck using frogs for bait on Bass? I've never tried.Except maybe a plastic one a time or two in the past.Live wild shiners are the best natural Largemouth Bass bait in my experience.I know you can use frogs for Bass,just never had access to many live frogs,except bullfrogs.I guess frogs would be good for Muskies or maybe Pike though huh? They got "Peacock Bass" down here now in the wild,I know they would eat a frog on the surface in a hearbeat.Cool lure.Good job dekalb.

Upvote 0

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I do a bit of river fishing here in Western Washington. The item you have there looks to me to be an old version of a bait diver. The main fishing line would attach to the small loop on the sloped end of the object. Then, natural bait like cut herring or sandshrimp would somehow be attached to the larger wire hoop. The hooks would then get embedded into the bait. We use newer versions of this type of gear while fishing from a drift boat. You let out the line in the current and that current brings the bait into the deeper (6-10 feet) holes. Works well for steelhead, Coho, Kings,...

Upvote 0

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Here are a couple of newer bait divers.

Attachments

• deepsixdiver.jpg
    deepsixdiver.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,453
  • jetdiver.jpg
    jetdiver.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,835
  • pinklady.jpg
    pinklady.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 3,292
Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bait divers,we call them planers(poor mans downrigger) down here,good for (smokers)King Mackerel.It's not that for sure.No weight anywhere on said object.It's exactly what dekalb said it is.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[diving doc Dig is essentially correct, except that the blades are fashioned to force the lure to the surface, not down.
*****************HI Doc, i ah er havea simple exerient inmind---ae yu still qualified/
OOPS! I mis read the illustration, it 'IS' down, sniff. OK apol. Diggum , the location of the line attachment and the blades make it a diver.

Wanna help me wth my experiment with a shark and Doc on a diving plane?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why tow the wee thing? Good to eat are they says me.

Hi: err, ah, Doc are you still qualified? I have a simple experiment in mind----. But will me yer books and tapes first, ok?

EL Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Ahhhhh....for attaching live bait--of course! That makes so much more sense than attaching it to a lure. I wonder why I didn't think of that.

Thanks for the help everyone! It is much appreciated.

As to the age of the piece, it is almost certainly that old since all of the other lures that came with this one were from a very narrow range of years from the late 1930s to the early 1940s--and many of them were still mint in the boxes with instructions and everything. The fact that it is in good shape doesn't tell anything about it's age.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RealdeTayopa said:
[diving doc Dig is essentially correct, except that the blades are fashioned to force the lure to the surface, not down.
*****************HI Doc, i ah er havea simple exerient inmind---ae yu still qualified/
OOPS! I mis read the illustration, it 'IS' down, sniff. OK apol. Diggum , the location of the line attachment and the blades make it a diver.

Wanna help me wth my experiment with a shark and Doc on a diving plane?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why tow the wee thing? Good to eat are they says me.

Hi: err, ah, Doc are you still qualified? I have a simple experiment in mind----. But will me yer books and tapes first, ok?

EL Tropical Tramp
OOPS! Your right! I can see that now.It is a diving type lure.Still made to attach natural (live or dead) bait to.Sorry Tabfry,didn't mean to sound like a jerk.Jose-You think we can talk him into it? HE-HE-HE-HE!

Upvote 0

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
Wiggle that thing a little further over here to the left, we'll see if it's a bass lure then. ;D

Frog is to Bass as Prime Rib is to Guy Holding the Bass!!

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=diggummup ]
,didn't mean to sound like a jerk

0---------5th -------------0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.Jose-You think we can talk him into it? HE-HE-HE-HE!

Yes, just appeal to his ego and he will follow, just like gollum dig after a gal.

El Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so is fishing for muskies with baby ducklings
but back in the day they did it
so they prolly used them(frogs) back then also think 70 years ago

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=so is fishing for muskies with baby ducklings
but back in the day they did it
so they prolly used them(frogs) back then also think 70 years ago
Also live worms, small fish etc. etc., still do for game fish, active predators. It was common to stake out a live goat for Tigers to kill, then while the tiger was eating, shoot it.

In olden Egypt it was not unknown to stake out an older useless slave for this for Lions, particularly where they were troubled by man eaters.

Man isn't noted for being very humane even today.

Ex. Michelle still will not appear in red skivies.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread