What's new

weird half.. help??

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
1,915
Reaction score
120
Golden Thread
0
Location
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went through $170 today. Got skunked on the silver, but what I did find is possibly even more rare than the good ole silver. I found a 1980 D half dollar that appears to have been dipped in gold. It has stamped in to the left side above "in god" an imprinted 1960. Above "we trust" 1980 is also imprinted into the coin.
Anyone know what these are worth?? Or has anyone seen or heard of one??
I am going to try to post pics of this coin, and my recent finds tonight.
 
Upvote 0
I have two of the halves you are referring to. I have one of the same that you are describing with the two dates stamped into the face. I know that it has something to do with anniversary of Kennedy's presidency, or assassination. Post some pictures of the half, and I'm sure you will get some more answers. Good find, but I'm pretty sure they are only plated.
 
Not worth anything (more than 50 cents), bet have found at least 15 this year. Some have been Gold Plated too.
 
Yes, you spend any amount of time crhing you will come across them. They were sold as a set at one time. The coin is actually damaged because it wasn't created that way at the mint. Just like the colorized coins always for sale. Any numismatic value is lost by doing this "post mint damage". To each his own though.
 
I saw one on an auction sight selling for $7.00. It did say that it's a celebration of Kennedy's presidency. It also said that they were dipped in 24k gold. I knew that it wasn't solid gold. It's kinda cool that it's gold plated though.
 
enamel7 said:
Yes, you spend any amount of time crhing you will come across them. They were sold as a set at one time. The coin is actually damaged because it wasn't created that way at the mint. Just like the colorized coins always for sale. Any numismatic value is lost by doing this "post mint damage". To each his own though.

I thought the real ones had the stamp, that they were minted with it...? and the non stamped are colored, fakes/bored crh?
 
d2arcing said:
enamel7 said:
Yes, you spend any amount of time crhing you will come across them. They were sold as a set at one time. The coin is actually damaged because it wasn't created that way at the mint. Just like the colorized coins always for sale. Any numismatic value is lost by doing this "post mint damage". To each his own though.

I thought the real ones had the stamp, that they were minted with it...? and the non stamped are colored, fakes/bored crh?
The Kennedy half has never been minted with the dates stamped into it. It was done post mint.
 
hmm, strange. I'm gonna keep this one. hopefully the next hunt will ring some silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom