What's new

Well, I m not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

lorraine

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
3,764
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

Returned yesterday to the beach where I had found a silver ring and that "Spinner " ring.

Managed to recover a ring ( heavily tarnished) marked 925 with a jeweler's Hallmark; but I've been fooled before , and this ring I'm just not so sure about. Maybe it has just been down in that mud for too long.. this is a verrrrrrrry oooooooolllllllllddddddddd beeeeeeeach.

It tested + for silver with acid test, but it still doesn't look so good to me..maybe silver plated? :-\

It's got tiny stones top and bottom on either side....a couple of days late for Valentine's Day ::)

What do you think?

Also found the worst condition quarter ever! :o

Here's pics

Thanks for looking
Lorraine
 

Attachments

  • Picture 7127.webp
    Picture 7127.webp
    21 KB · Views: 630
  • Picture 7132.webp
    Picture 7132.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 624
  • Picture 7142.webp
    Picture 7142.webp
    39.8 KB · Views: 618
Upvote 0
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

You aren't kidding about the quarter being decrepit.

It's always nice to get out and hunt in the fresh air.

You did better then I did today, only found 1 quarter 2 pennies and I think a broken silver wire necklace.

James
 
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

Lorraine, the quarter is a clad, see the copper edge? They dont hold up for long. That sure looks like a silver ring. Sometimes silver gets real cruddy looking, actually corroded and thick black covering, sometimes it looks fine for many even 100s of years, with just black tarnish. Look at many silver cobs that come off shipwrecks. If they werent near iron, they often were very nice. Black crud which comes off quick with acid, and rinse and towel buff, and they look fine. But if near another more or less noble metal, (dissimilar metals) they could corrode much faster. I found a stainless steel knife underwater, and it was down maybe a year, had a 1/16th" thick covering of coralline on handle, and the blade was eaten into 2 parts, because the knife was laying on a piece of iron rebar. Other than the completely burned through blade it was perfect. Coins and jewelry do the same. With bronze it doesnt excatly get eaten up, but looses the zinc parts and turns red,(copper) and brittle. The reason behind using zincs (anodes) on boats.
 
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

Our coinage has become a joke.

Might as well start making them out of plastic.

What am I saying??
 
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

OH YOU'RE BLINDING ME! What a shine! silver or not it is a pretty ring. Congrats.
 
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

It sure is a cute ring. Looks like the beach was offering up a nice little Valentine Gift for you.....congrats!


I am still impatiently waiting on enough funds to amass to buy a good detector with all the trimmings. Have been keeping busy going through my loose change jar and reading all the posts and vids possible on every topic.

Joy in Fl
 
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

harleyroadangel said:
It sure is a cute ring. Looks like the beach was offering up a nice little Valentine Gift for you.....congrats!


I am still impatiently waiting on enough funds to amass to buy a good detector with all the trimmings. Have been keeping busy going through my loose change jar and reading all the posts and vids possible on every topic.

Joy in Fl

Hi Joy,

I hope that you will be able to get hold of a detector soon and join in the fun of this terrific hobby.

Lorraine
 
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

Lorraine,

I am hoping for the first week of March. I also have a nice 11 day vacation then, so the 'plan' is to pick up my 'dream machine' , hop in my truck and start hitting the beaches on a little detecting oddesy.

Joy in Fl
 
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

UPDATE ON THAT "LOVE RING" REGARDING VALIDITY OF SILVER CONTENT.

IT WAS SENT TO ARA REFINERIES ALONG WITH OTHER SILVER AND WAS ACCEPTED , SO I'LL TAKE THAT AS A "YES" SILVER.

Lorraine
 
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

I don't think anyone would stamp 925 unless it was silver . Gold is another story.
 
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

Les West Central Fl said:
I don't think anyone would stamp 925 unless it was silver . Gold is another story.


Thank you, Les........but

Would you believe that in my 5 years of detecting I have found 3 rings that were stamped .925 , and they tested negative for silver?

Two of them were supposedly "Tiffany & Co"; they had the company stamping on them....totally bogus according to the jeweler. :( not only were they not Tiffany and Co, but they were not silver , either. :o

After those experiences, I am extra careful, checking each 925 with acid test kit.

I sell many of my silver rings privately and would not want to be embarrassed with a false sale.
 
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

Don't blame you for checking.
 
Re: Well, I 'm not sure about this silver ring..could be another "bogus" find for me

Nice on being "the real thing!" It looked like it from the picture, but just as you say - you just never know these days! All the Asian knock-offs...

Thanks for sharing your finds!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom