Well, Its not pretty....But its Spanish and its silver

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, It's not pretty....But it's Spanish and it's silver

My Buddy Rick and I got out yesterday for a good 6 hour hunt. We started out at our new colonial French site but didn't turn up much at all this time. So then we got invited to hunt a elderly couples fields, which actually had 2 home sites on them. Man did those fields have potential but unfortunately that's about it, although I did get a blob in one of them that may actually be about 2 ounces of burnt silver (or pewter). It's non-magnetic, heavy and rings up a solid 80 on the ATPro. Oh yea click on the pic to make it bigger

20151214_203810.jpg

Then we moved on to our 3rd field which was freshly plowed but it too turned up zippo. Finally with only an hour left to hunt we headed for a site that we have pounded but it keeps on producing, and it didn't fail us this time. First I turned up a couple of small cuff buttons, both are the same size but have different designed. One has a Crown with oak leaves under it and the other has 3, six sided stars within a wreath and a word on top, which to the best of my abilities spells "PHATY" ............That's right Phaty
20151214_195421.jpg 20151214_195814.jpg

And then with just minutes to go I get a squeaker of a signal on the XP and up she comes, a sad looking little Half Reale but a very welcome sight after such a hard day of hunting with out much to show for our efforts.

20151214_203848.jpg

The group shots....

20151213_150209.jpg 20151214_203745.jpg

HH everyone and have a great Christmas, or what ever
ZDD

Last edited:
Upvote 15

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Great to see you guys still getting out and making some finds!
Maybe the last one for you this year, nice to see you made it count!

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Nice one...I've dug them in a lot worse condition than that....I think because they were in circulation for a long time...Congrats

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great reale! Any day with Spanish silver is a great day!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with those finds and that Spanish is still awesome!

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I was expecting to see a totally smooth Spanish silver. That thing is not bad at all the only one I ever dug is a lot smoother than that

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't post waiting for you to first, mine will just be silly.
Anyway, I think those two small "buttons" are very interesting indeed, they are cuff sized, and do not appear "rotted" yet there is no sign of a shank, and the back side is convex ?

You really need a better picture of the one with the crown at least, better light, and cropped down to just the button, again I use the term button loosely, as it may well be something completely different. Very interesting indeed, and may well be military, as other military items came from that particular site.

EDIT : Sorry yeah I zoomed in you can see it quite well, just sideways.

BTW Dave not only got the best find of the day, he got the best three of the day. Finds not-withstanding (for me), it was a super day, I was sweating dressed for a windchill below freezing, that didn't happen. Hope ground not froze in Jan.

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last thing, I have to say when that couple told us of that 1700 house site, and said go ahead, I had visions of a basket full of goodies, and could hardly believe there was barely a repeatable signal anywhere ? I guess I did end up with a couple of "blobs", and one silver plate spoon for the hour or so there.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyway, I think those two small "buttons" are very interesting indeed, they are cuff sized, and do not appear "rotted" yet there is no sign of a shank, and the back side is convex ?

You really need a better picture of the one with the crown at least, better light, and cropped down to just the button, again I use the term button loosely, as it may well be something completely different. Very interesting indeed, and may well be military, as other military items came from that particular site.

EDIT : Sorry yeah I zoomed in you can see it quite well, just sideways.

BTW Dave not only got the best find of the day, he got the best three of the day. Finds not-withstanding (for me), it was a super day, I was sweating dressed for a windchill below freezing, that didn't happen. Hope ground not froze in Jan.
Yea the backs are smooth and have a little roundness too them.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great way to end the day Dave. Any Spanish silver is a hit in my book!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's always the ways sometimes that it's a hard day of digging and nothing really has been produced then the game saver comes up. Nice going on the Half Reale and I don't see a lot of them been posted up. Congrats on the save Dave.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you're having one of those days where you're fighting for sites and targets a Spanish silver is a pretty good result!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man I'd kill for one of those Spanish silvers right now Dave. Glad to see someone get their coil over one. Hopefully the weather will hold out for you a bit longer.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one of those, but its still Spanish Silver & its still mine !! Take them any way you can.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DAVE YOU GOT SOME NICE RELICS IN THAT PILE. IS THE NAIL BRASS KINDA LOOKS LIKE A SHIP NAIL BUT MAYBE IM LOOKING AT IT WRONG ...

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAVE YOU GOT SOME NICE RELICS IN THAT PILE. IS THE NAIL BRASS KINDA LOOKS LIKE A SHIP NAIL BUT MAYBE IM LOOKING AT IT WRONG ...

Yes it is Brass / copper. it looked as it was new, as in not used.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice spanish silver! I like the thimble too!

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. I feel bad for you guys that say this or that day might be your last hunt. Man, we get some snow and cold but I still hunt a lot during winter, sometimes in near zero degree weather.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great way to end the day Dave. Any Spanish silver is a hit in my book!
Thanks Romeo, it was a nice way to end the day and the year. I just hope I can get out again before the big freeze.
ZDD

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome. Just freaking awesome. I have never found Spanish Silver. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread