Well, the coinstar wont count Ikes- or give them back...

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the coinstar giftcards, because you only need about 5 bucks worth of coins to get a giftcard and who doesn't love amazon or Itunes??

Sincerely, Garoulady

Amazons good but Itunes is junk. They only offer low quality MP3 codings of songs that simply do not compare to .FLAC files or CDs for that matter hence the reason I do not use it. Artists earn very little off itunes, you are better off pirating than using itunes, plus you'll get better quality and a wider assortment of songs to listen to. By Pirating, I mean top level sights like what, not pirate bay because pirate bay is crappier than itunes even. music is a touchy subject, but cds are king in my world.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mess with i tunes & only order from Amazon once a year.
Call me cheap , but I don't like giving away 11 cents of every dollar of change I find or collect.
I can read their messed up terms , therefor I don't use the machine.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As I said above, you just need to read the agreement before you use the machine. It isn't coinstars job to sort your earings, wedding rings, foreign coins, rocks, safety pins, paperclips, washer, 22lr bullets, gum wrappers, etc. If you put any of that in, that is on you, so consider it gone.

If you read the agreement before you choose your gift card option, you will know exactly what kind of gift card you are going to get. They don'tsay it will be a visa giftcard you can use anywhere. If you don't want a homedepot giftcard, don't buy it. If you don't want an amazon card, don't buy it.

If you do want them, make sure you read the agreement and will have enough to reach the minimum (usually only $5 but sometimes $10) or you will end up with a fee. If you want cash, accept their service fee or roll your coins and take them to the bank. That will only cost you 10-100 minutes of your time to roll and the time you spend in line at the bank.

If you know what you put in and the mahine is wrong, contact coinstart. They offered me a check the one time out of dozens that there was an error. Then the machine was shut down and repaired within a few days. Agreeing to the coinstar terms means IT ISN'T THEFT. I don't mean to get in an arguement, but I don't feel the treatment is fair. You can call it expensive, or a bad value, but not theft.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinstars have an internal and external reject bins. The internal one is under the sorter wheel that turns the coins around. from the sorter wheel they go into a horizontal slide and vertical one into the storage bins with a diversion slide for unacceptable coins to the external reject bin. Ike dollars and other large coinage is too big for the slides, so there is a little electric door under the sorter wheel that goes into the internal reject bin. If there is a coin jam, some employees can open the machine to unjam it. If you are extremely lucky you can buy the large or reject coins by swapping out dollar for dollar FV. And all of us know about the external reject bin. Don't try to stick your hand or anything else up the reject slide. there's really no way to get anything out of there. even little munchkins are getting onto the act of searching the external bin. Your best bet is to stick around and if there is the song of silver coming out and you can peg the person as being unknowing of coins, ie most teenagers and some adults. I have gotten more coins by 'swapping out bad coins' for 'legal' american tender. LOL.

Sincerely, GarouLady

or homedepot, or lowes, or basspro, or applebees, chilis, red robin, sears, staples, toys r us, sports authority, southwest airlines, build-a-bear, etc. So many choices if you reserach which machine to go to in advance. Stores don't want to compete with the gift card options, so a coinstar at walmart won't offer gift cards to someplace like sports authority of homedepot, or amzon (other than maybe itunes). a coinstar at a mcdonalds might not offer gift cards to red robin or chilis.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't mess with i tunes & only order from Amazon once a year.
Call me cheap , but I don't like giving away 11 cents of every dollar of change I find or collect.
I can read their messed up terms , therefor I don't use the machine.

You don't just blindly accept the terms of service without reading them? It says you are from Ga, but that sounds unamerican. haha, j/k.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
No kidding. I try to make sure that people know the coinstars now charge 11 cents off the dollar. If they don't like that I tell them about the giftcards. If they really don't like that, I tell them if they are going grocery shopping, go through the SCOs, self check outs, and depose their coins into the machine. We don't, as cashiers, try not to take too much loose coinage. Its very tedious to wait for people to count 12 bucks in nickels and dimes when you have a lineup. And people never think about turning in all their nasty gross sticky coins into cashiers who then have to handle food. Mega gross out. I also had recently the horror of getting a roll of dimes that was coated inside and out of some sort of stick automotive residue. All the coins were stuck together in a solid roll. I repackaged them and used a different roll of dimes that I thankfully had. coinstar isn't a rip off. Its the price of using the machine. If you don't like please find other avenues to turn your coinage in. But don't call it a rip off, misleading or messed up. All the banks and CUs in our town except 1 makes you pay for using their coin machines, whether or not you have an account. I consider that more of a rip off then coinstar.

Sincerely, GarouLady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions