Well, the coinstar wont count Ikes- or give them back...

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, the coinstar won't count Ikes- or give them back...

Happened to see a kid dumping at a coinstar yesterday, and before I could get over to him, I saw two ikes slide down the chute.

They beat and clanged around in there forever. Long after he got his ticket to take for his cash...

They finally just went silent inside it. Never came out the reject tray, and I stood behind and watched to see if it counted them. It did not...

Anyone know a coinstar service tech?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are talking about 2 dollars....Not the end of the world.

A tech will come out and service the machine at some point. look for a 1800 number on the actual machine. But remember. Two dollars.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of the coin counters accept large silver dollars such as Eisenhower dollars. They are too large and just spin around inside the machine unaccounted for. Then again, my dump banks generally have signs that the machine doesn't take them.
I wouldn't fuss over $2, though. I mean, coin star is highway robbery for their service and are making out well, but is it worth the stress, aggravation and hassle of contacting someone who services the machines?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"My 2 Dollars, My 2 Dollars"

2 Dollars is 2 $ ( Homie Don't Play That).
(FOR REAL THO):treasurechest:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
two cornet head gold dollars would be another story.

OP
OP
W

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol...

I'm not trying to get the $2 out! I'm thinking tho, that if ikes stay in there forever, folks dumping grandad's coin collection and throwing a pile of ASE's or morgans down the drain would be a nice score for the service tech...

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read all the posts so I know you aren't trying to get the money but to any other who may be worrying, the agreement at the start of the process that you agree to states that if you put large $1 coins in, they won't be counted or returned. The machine can't handle them. just an FYI.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happened to see a kid dumping at a coinstar yesterday, and before I could get over to him, I saw two ikes slide down the chute.

They beat and clanged around in there forever. Long after he got his ticket to take for his cash...

They finally just went silent inside it. Never came out the reject tray, and I stood behind and watched to see if it counted them. It did not...

Anyone know a coinstar service tech?

:coffee2: Those coinstar machines are just thieves period. Between the excessive fees & the internal "dust bin" that collects coins along with other objects, they just rob people outright. Who said to be a robber you needed a gun & a mask?
HH
Gary

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have heard they get kept inside the internal reject area.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TWO. DOLLARS.
:laughing7:

Cool
That's where I got my Thread title , but just could not recall the name of the Movie
Just pictured that kid chasing John C. through the snow Screaming "My 2 dollars"

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar machines have a reject bin in them. I saw a tech servicing a machine and there was this plastic bin full of large coins. Between the gold and diamond ear rings falling down the tray, the best job may be working for coin star.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't get the coinstart hatred. You agree to pay a fee when you use it. It is used to coint coins, and american ones at that. If you put in american coins in the denominations the machines says it will take, you will get a very accurate count and will only pay the fee you agree to. That isn't theft. On top of that, the fee is waived if you use a gift card. I don't know about you, but a giftcard to avoid rolling $25 worth of pennies is a great deal for me.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get the coinstart hatred. You agree to pay a fee when you use it. It is used to coint coins, and american ones at that. If you put in american coins in the denominations the machines says it will take, you will get a very accurate count and will only pay the fee you agree to. That isn't theft. On top of that, the fee is waived if you use a gift card. I don't know about you, but a giftcard to avoid rolling $25 worth of pennies is a great deal for me.

:coffee2: I don't use the coinstar but I hear that the fee is now over 11%. My local TD bank has the coin counter for free for account holders & only charges a 8% fee for non account holders. The theft part really comes in because not all reject coins are returned. It has the internal box that reject coins & other items also goes into instead of being returned to the person. The giftcards are very limited as to what they are for. It's not like a cash giftcard that you can use anywhere. You can only use them in a specific store. Not everyone uses any or all of the stores that the giftcards are for so they have to pay the fee. My local bank (not TD) also uses the machines that coinstar uses. I have proved that the machines doesn't always count accurately. I put $6 ($5 dimes & $1 pennies) in & it counted $5.38 of course the bank said there was nothing wrong with the machine. That's why I doen't like them at all. Hopefully they have a giftcard you can use. To each his own.
HH
Gary

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not everyone gets charged for coin machine use. I have a account with td and I use it when ever i want. I know a manager at a td bank and from what he explained to me the cost to keep a coin machine running properly far exceeds what coins get stuck in the machine. At one point 2 years ago td banks in my area were considering getting rid of coin machines because if they broke it was to expensive to keep fixing them. Again these were things I was told by someone who I have known for a while, so I'm assuming they are true.

Yawnie88

Greenie
Mar 31, 2013
MINNESOTA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a coin machine like the coin star machines and we have a camera on it at all times.when someone goes to clean it out and they find Ike coins we try to pinpoint and locate who did the transaction. Rarely do we have someone ask.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinstars have an internal and external reject bins. The internal one is under the sorter wheel that turns the coins around. from the sorter wheel they go into a horizontal slide and vertical one into the storage bins with a diversion slide for unacceptable coins to the external reject bin. Ike dollars and other large coinage is too big for the slides, so there is a little electric door under the sorter wheel that goes into the internal reject bin. If there is a coin jam, some employees can open the machine to unjam it. If you are extremely lucky you can buy the large or reject coins by swapping out dollar for dollar FV. And all of us know about the external reject bin. Don't try to stick your hand or anything else up the reject slide. there's really no way to get anything out of there. even little munchkins are getting onto the act of searching the external bin. Your best bet is to stick around and if there is the song of silver coming out and you can peg the person as being unknowing of coins, ie most teenagers and some adults. I have gotten more coins by 'swapping out bad coins' for 'legal' american tender. LOL.

Sincerely, GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other

Love the coinstar giftcards, because you only need about 5 bucks worth of coins to get a giftcard and who doesn't love amazon or Itunes??

Sincerely, Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread