• Resized_20210524_103146.jpeg
    Resized_20210524_103146.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Maybe some technological connection exist, the same way other stemmed points fit into a really broad multi thousand year trend of stemmed knife/atlatl point combos. The "fineness" of the work, the gentle rounding of the corners that make them almost exactly match Adenas is probably just a stylistic coincidence.

But we know a lot about the cultural traditions of the Adena peoples in the Eastern US, and there doesn't seem to be a connection back to your area. But even then, Adena was probably a cluster of really different people speaking different languages who shared some common art/burial/and potentially beliefs, but like the Mayans, they probably weren't exactly friendly neighbors with other Adena groups.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I don’t believe that I heard the term ‘first stage’. You’re use of the term, attached to those two points got my attention.
Does it mean that these points were finished and never resharpened?
BTW
Those two points are gorgeous. And, they look exactly like perfect G10 Adena Blades (longer stems?). When I searched for pictures of the Wells Type, various points appeared that seemed to be somewhat or vaguely similar and mostly crude.

None that I found were made of as fine a lithic material as those either. Can anyone post a good Wells example that might compare?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t believe that I heard the term ‘first stage’. You’re use of the term, attached to those two points got my attention.
Does it mean that these points were finished and never resharpened?
BTW
Those two points are gorgeous. And, they look exactly like perfect G10 Adena Blades (longer stems?). When I searched for pictures of the Wells Type, various points appeared that seemed to be somewhat or vaguely similar and mostly crude.

None that I found were made of as fine a lithic material as those either. Can anyone post a good Wells example that might compare?
Probably not. Those may be the two finest wells ever found. Never used.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a frame of fine wells dug from the same site and same context.

Attachments

• Resized_20210310_153742.jpeg
    Resized_20210310_153742.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 56

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a frame of fine wells dug from the same site and same context.

Thanks for posting these examples. They are better than most of the examples I was able to pull from the internet. All the points in that frame have recurve blades. I assume this is due to resharpening.
Congratulations on those finds.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting these examples. They are better than most of the examples I was able to pull from the internet. All the points in that frame have recurve blades. I assume this is due to resharpening.
Congratulations on those finds.

Yes. That's the way good used wells points look. the two monsters I posted were made as extremes.

Edgychris1

Mar 13, 2021
South East New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,
What type of location do you find these immaculate points. I know the Flounder you said clay.

Are you digging sites?
Any pointers for a newbie to produce some killers like that?
Beach, field, dried river bed???
Ect??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread