What's new

Went Back To My Site

monsterrack

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
5,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the rain was gone, so with the wife mad at me I headed out to my site, ran into misty rain about 2 mi. from there, but since I was there and going to sleep in the dog house tonight, what the heck I went for a walk, and I did not forget the camera today. First thing I found was this pointView attachment 868834View attachment 868836Walked on for a while found some flakes and then I found what I think is a point perform, but the stone type is what is cool to me.View attachment 868839View attachment 868840I'm sure I'm right but that is petrified palm wood, the nearest source that I know of is over a 100 mi. to the south. Then I found this leverite but it looked cool and at the time I could not see any alteration to it so I still kept it.View attachment 868850This place is a slop hole the mud builds up on your feet and you end up with Frankenstien boots made of mud. I walked on for a ways and found what I thought was a bone and I flipped it over.View attachment 868855When I hit it with my stick it just did not sound right for bone and when I picked it up it was to heavy, so I dug some of the dirt out of it.View attachment 868857View attachment 868858I'm not sure what it is but it has been altered by man. When I got home I cleaned everything with water and a tooth brush and this is what I have.View attachment 868865View attachment 868866View attachment 868867I will take all thoughts on this, I have never seen anything like it,It seems to be made of some type of stone that has a iron content, but my leverite looks good in itView attachment 868871View attachment 868877Here's the other finds cleaned.View attachment 868884View attachment 868890
 
Upvote 0
If used as a paint pot, the red could be hematite stains from grinding up red ochre. Such paint pots often have red ochre staining on the interior, although most paint pits are stone. I've never even heard of a ceramic paint pot. The iron staining can range from yellowish(limonite) to reddish(hematite). If it is stone, I would say a paint pot with iron staining either because it was a nodule chock full of ochre which was scraped out to use, or it is a paint pot used to grind and prepare ochre as a pigment. Nice find.

The pot is stone, I used my pin pointer and a magnet with no results, I also used my scope and you can see some type of crystal flakes or mica flakes(not sure). Rege-pa I think is right it is a nodule of some type of iron concertion that they found and started using. There is no stone like this in the area, IMO it was stone that was traded since stone was their main trade item.IMO Thanks for the input, I have been doing this a long time and still learn from this site.HH
 
Thanks for the follow up..the photo was doing a pretty good impression of a coil constructed earthenware piece.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom