What's new

Went Back To My Site

monsterrack

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
5,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the rain was gone, so with the wife mad at me I headed out to my site, ran into misty rain about 2 mi. from there, but since I was there and going to sleep in the dog house tonight, what the heck I went for a walk, and I did not forget the camera today. First thing I found was this pointView attachment 868834View attachment 868836Walked on for a while found some flakes and then I found what I think is a point perform, but the stone type is what is cool to me.View attachment 868839View attachment 868840I'm sure I'm right but that is petrified palm wood, the nearest source that I know of is over a 100 mi. to the south. Then I found this leverite but it looked cool and at the time I could not see any alteration to it so I still kept it.View attachment 868850This place is a slop hole the mud builds up on your feet and you end up with Frankenstien boots made of mud. I walked on for a ways and found what I thought was a bone and I flipped it over.View attachment 868855When I hit it with my stick it just did not sound right for bone and when I picked it up it was to heavy, so I dug some of the dirt out of it.View attachment 868857View attachment 868858I'm not sure what it is but it has been altered by man. When I got home I cleaned everything with water and a tooth brush and this is what I have.View attachment 868865View attachment 868866View attachment 868867I will take all thoughts on this, I have never seen anything like it,It seems to be made of some type of stone that has a iron content, but my leverite looks good in itView attachment 868871View attachment 868877Here's the other finds cleaned.View attachment 868884View attachment 868890
 
Upvote 0
nice im am so jealous of you.looks like a paint pot too me
 
You are killing it boss great stuff !!!!
 
Could have been used to grind many things, paint pigment, herbs, seeds, medicine, anything that needed to be powdered.
The vessel itself looks to be some sort of nodule, possibly an iron concretion that some enterprising individual recognized and ground to shape, another spectacular find from the Poverty Point stalker!
 
Is the point pink and white? You scored again with those finds, congrats
 
It sure looks similar here is a better piece
 

Attachments

  • image-2084900666.webp
    image-2084900666.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1032336347.webp
    image-1032336347.webp
    31.7 KB · Views: 111
Nice finds! That looks like a pinch pot made of stoneware and high fired (1800 + degrees) until vitrified.
 
A pinch pot is one of simplest ceramic forms. It is literally pinched into form from a single ball of clay....Making a Pinch Pot
 
I don't know if you have a multi-component site there or not but that crude "pot" looks alot like a crucible.
And that would explain the apparent iron content from impurities left behind.
If it doesn't seem like the same type of pottery you normally find there I would bet that's what it is and I would bring my metal detector to that site.
 
Last edited:
I don't know if you have a multi-component site there or not but that crude "pot" looks alot like a crucible.
If it doesn't seem like the same type of pottery you normally find there I would bet that's what it is and I would bring my metal detector to that site.

Gator makes a very good point...That very well could be a crucible that was used for melting metals. It was probably placed in coals and fanned to raise the temp. for smelting. You can see where it was indented on the lip to make a pour spout of sorts. Most crucibles were made of clay. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucible
 
Last edited:
If that pot is pretty heavy it may be soapstone?
 
Nice artifacts and pictures. The pot appears to have some white specs in it which could indicate some shell. Great find!
 
I think you've hit the jackpot with your spot. Can't wait to see what you post next!

I agree.. what's next?
Gold and silver beads?
 
your the man gator...how did you get so smart?
 
Haha.. completely by accident
 
If used as a paint pot, the red could be hematite stains from grinding up red ochre. Such paint pots often have red ochre staining on the interior, although most paint pits are stone. I've never even heard of a ceramic paint pot. The iron staining can range from yellowish(limonite) to reddish(hematite). If it is stone, I would say a paint pot with iron staining either because it was a nodule chock full of ochre which was scraped out to use, or it is a paint pot used to grind and prepare ochre as a pigment. Nice find.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom