Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to the fort yesterday to try out the 4kHz and it was terrible every piece of trash heads up on high numbers it’s just not the right system for the places I hunt. This fort was built on top of an Shell mound and After that was a fort for the French and then there was a fort for the Spanish then they turned it into an amusement park after the amusement park it was a place to drink so there are tons of broken brick white shells oyster shells big clamshells and rusty nails. I invited anybody to come down and try to hunt the site you better have a big shovel like I do because when you hit brick you have to break through it get through the white shells the nails and everything else and then you might find something after you have sift through every piece of iron. Well today I went on good multi town and I got a 1857 O Seated Half Dime, a 1919 wheat sand and two round balls. It’s the hardest place to hunt but if you work hard enough you may come out with something fantastic. IMG_0935.jpg
IMG_0934.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg
IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg
That shovel is the most strongest shovel made on the planet I have broken every other one if you don’t have that shovel you ain’t breaking through the brick. Also for you new to the hobby if you’re not digging trash you’re not gonna find anything my pin pointer is my shovel. I had a wonderful year at this Fort and I invite anybody who wants to try it’s the old Spanish Fort in New Orleans. Merry Christmas

Upvote 31
I consider a half dime retrieval a major accomplishment, most metal detectorists will probably never find one since they will read zinc cent on the meter. In 35 years of metal detecting I've only dug up two.

The one you dug is in great shape! Congrats!

Way to go brother, I know it's hard digging, been there and done that with you on many occasions. Congrats on your find!!! "D"

Truth, I'm surprised none of the Lake Vistans have protested your digging there. That's a pretty high rent district.

My grandparents lived on Plover when I was growing up.

I metal detected there back in 2014 with my Bounty Hunter but was looking over my shoulder the whole time, waiting for the inevitable protest from some nearby homeowner.

Yeah I’m surprised too that’s why I go and just keep my head down LOL. No but seriously nobody’s ever told me anything. No I’m sorry there was this one lady who called the levy board on me and three of them pulled up one being a sergeant and he said as long as I wasn’t metal detecting on the levee there was no law saying I could detect anything on public property including the Fort. Plus my buddy Possum designed cards as members of the historical society which looks very legit. When people are walking and do ask me what I’ve found I kind of throw in a very small white lie and say I’m a subcontractor for LSU Archaeology and hand them my card. It’s all in the presentation Hehe

Last edited:
I consider a half dime retrieval a major accomplishment, most metal detectorists will probably never find one since they will read zinc cent on the meter. In 35 years of metal detecting I've only dug up two.

The one you dug is in great shape! Congrats!

Yeah it’s crazy I’ve dug 5 Seated Liberty Half Dimes and I’ve dug 2 Capped Half Dimes But I’ve only dug 1 Seated Dime. Go figure

Way to go brother, I know it's hard digging, been there and done that with you on many occasions. Congrats on your find!!! "D"

I appreciate it that’s what makes you my best bud We will be brothers until our elbows hit the pine box

Same to you buddy. I see the 1/2 dime starting to clean up. Perhaps an hour soak in white vinegar for what's left of the build up on it and if the brown stain is still there a few drops of water in a little baking soda in the palm of your hand paste rubbed on it should do it. Good luck.

Don

This thing is stubborn this is the best I can do after a 24 hour soak in vinegar and a light rub with liquid soap and baking soda IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0947.jpg

Truth, that is brilliant. I may try a similar tactic down the line. Wonderful. What I don't understand is those who think it's somehow better to just leave history under the ground, as we who unearth it, are "destroying history" as they put it. Huh?

I guess we should all just let the stuff rot under the ground for posterity.

Truth, that is brilliant. I may try a similar tactic down the line. Wonderful. What I don't understand is those who think it's somehow better to just leave history under the ground, as we who unearth it, are "destroying history" as they put it. Huh?

I guess we should all just let the stuff rot under the ground for posterity.

I don’t understand it either they act like when I’m digging a plug I’m stabbing mother earth in the back. IMG_0960.jpg
IMG_0962.jpg

Last edited:
Truth, you are so funny. I'm beginning to like you more and more.

Hand em a card and you are legit. It's kind of scary people are so gullible.

I remember seeing similar "experiments" with authoritative badges which was quite scary in it's implications.

yeah that is really great Truth! congrats on another great find, your perseverance is paying off bigtime!

vp

Truth, you are so funny. I'm beginning to like you more and more.

Hand em a card and you are legit. It's kind of scary people are so gullible.

I remember seeing similar "experiments" with authoritative badges which was quite scary in it's implications.

My friend I appreciate it I was there today and a guy came up to me and was looking around at all the plugs I’ve done it’s very noticeable. Everything breaks up and the white shells and brick are showing where they weren’t before. He said in sort of an aggravated tone “What are you doing?” Thinking quick I told him I’m metal detecting to save as much history as possible because they’re thinking about knocking down the fort because 2 slaves helped build it. And it was believable because the fort is just a block away from Robert E Lee Boulevard and they’re changing the name to some slave’s name. I told him I wasn’t supposed to say anything so he didn’t hear it from me. He said You got my word this is just getting ridiculous!!!”
I said I agree and he thanked me LOL True story

yeah that is really great Truth! congrats on another great find, your perseverance is paying off bigtime!

vp

Thanks vpone It’s a very hard taxing place to detect but I keep telling myself I know there’s a gold coin here somewhere LOL

My friend I appreciate it I was there today and a guy came up to me and was looking around at all the plugs I’ve done it’s very noticeable. Everything breaks up and the white shells and brick are showing where they weren’t before. He said in sort of an aggravated tone “What are you doing?” Thinking quick I told him I’m metal detecting to save as much history as possible because they’re thinking about knocking down the fort because 2 slaves helped build it. And it was believable because the fort is just a block away from Robert E Lee Boulevard and they’re changing the name to some slave’s name. I told him I wasn’t supposed to say anything so he didn’t hear it from me. He said You got my word this is just getting ridiculous!!!”
I said I agree and he thanked me LOL True story

In today's climate, it wouldn't be far off for them to do that. The name of one of my horses is Annabelle, so I call her Annabelle Robert E. Lee, just to aggravate people. My great grandmother's middle name was Beauregard, so you can guess who she was related to.

In today's climate, it wouldn't be far off for them to do that. The name of one of my horses is Annabelle, so I call her Annabelle Robert E. Lee, just to aggravate people. My great grandmother's middle name was Beauregard, so you can guess who she was related to.

Yeah they took down all of our statues we had Robert E Lee on 100 foot pillar and it was called Lee Circle Now it’s just a pillar with nothing on it makes me sick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back