Went exploring today

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I had been looking at topo and Sat maps for the last few days and had found a place I wanted to explore. I also had a "plan B" in case the first one fell through. So I went to Gold run off I-80 to detect the hydraulic diggins. Plan "A" found me in front of a huge steel gate with no trespassing signs on it. Locked tight. OK plan "B" it will be then. Drive to plan "B" spot at the end of Garret Road, same thing, locked gate. But this time no signs. There was a mining claim on the East side but I did not see any other signs south of that claim. While walking in, I ran across a Brindle boxer dog miles from no where out in the diggins. She seemed healthy enough, had a collar but no tags. She became my buddy for my long hike. Walked all over looking for his owner, scoping the place out, and yelling out "Hello!!". No luck. Walked back out to the gate, and the dog followed. Got in my car after catching my breath, and sure enough, the dog followed me. Drove up out of the canyon with the dog right there next to my car. Tried to drive away once on the paved road but the damned dog followed. Turned around and went back to the first house and honked the horn, and yelled, but no answer. Second house I could see there was someone inside, but they did not come to the door even after I knocked and rang the bell. Dog still with me. Next house, no answer. Dog still with me. Next house no answer, until I heard a door slam. The guy was headed for his truck, so I yelled at him. He saw me. He told me it was a local dog, so he held it so I could make my get away. Then I tried an old spot near by that I have been to many times, but I got tired of the drive and turned around (it is a long assed drive out to the diggins.). I then transitioned over to a private property out of Placerville, where there are many lode mines on the property. I wanted to dig out a shaft that has a huge pile of ore cart rail in front of the portal. But when I got there, it was more plugged up then it had been before. I tried for a while to dig it out, but it became clear I needed some heavy equipment to get that shaft opened again. On the way out I found a shaft that went straight down. Not sure if it was man made or nature made, but you'd need some ropes and rigging to get down that hole. Gonna have to talk with the owner about that scale of work. I would like to recover the haul road and open up the portal with the ore cart rail in front using a tractor. I figure if there is rail in front, it must be extensive inside. SO I beeped the tailings I could get to, and got nothing but nails and wire. Anyhow, as usual I had a great time exploring and finding no gold. I know that ore cart rail has value, just a matter of dragging it up out of the ravine that is the problem.:unhappysmiley:

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a fun day.On the ore cart rail are you thinking scrap or ? If it's railroad steel, scrap yards won't buy unless a railroad gives you a statement letter saying you can possess it.Unless the owner of the mine says it's his ore car rail, even then I would take pics of it, in the mine before removal as proof that is where it came from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions