Were BAAACK! MARATHON DIG--Seateds, Spanish, Military!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're BAAACK! MARATHON DIG--Seateds, Spanish, Military!!

Hello All,

Yes, you haven't heard from us in a while. Yes, we've been swamped with work (forgive the pun!) and unable to dig when free due to rain, and a crazy series of events that has taken out our best sites due to weird plowing schedules and development. :BangHead: Here's the video for your viewing pleasure:

Ole Shangalang and I decided to go do some digging--several days of digging as a matter of fact!--and we hit some GREAT finds! I put my new digging boots on and got out in the fields! :laughing7: Been a while coming on this post and video because I just ain't had time. Been too busy with work to get a chance to clean finds, edit, and post, but with some digging days rolling out in the near future, I figured I needed to get it all cleaned up and posted for everyone to see and enjoy--and so we could get back in the fields and dig another handful of finds!

The first day we were at a backup to our backup site, and managed to find some decent items including a couple of CW bullets, nipple protector made from lead, and a nipple protector chain. I heard AAAAIIIIEEEEEEEEE!! from out in the fields and came running over to Shang and he had a prewar Eagle "A" Button with some gilding on it!

HPIM5395.JPG HPIM5396.JPG IMG_2225.JPG

I got a real scare when I dug this little charm, BTW. DEFINITELY thought it was a one dollar gold coin for a hot second. Exactly the right size and shape!

HPIM5430.JPG
Well at this point, Shang-o-Lang had made all the good finds, and my other consolation had been a nasty silver "war nickel" :laughing9: and some filthy relic bits... Then all of a sudden I had a nice pack rivet signal and dug an 1800 SPANISH SILVER HALF REAL!!!

HPIM5388.JPG HPIM5390.JPG HPIM5391.JPG

HPIM5436.JPG HPIM5437.JPG

We ended up going scouting after lunch with no success except for a couple plantation tokens, powder flask top, Wheaties and some other GawGag.

On day two we hit the cane fields early at first light and it was a froggy day.

HPIM5386.JPG

We took an excursion first into an area we'd had our eyes on a for a while. Ended up being another frustrating mixed site (the finds photo didn't make it into the video, but here it is).

1.JPG

New stuff everywhere (aluminum can) and some old mixed in (clay pipe stems, and a perfect little English Gun Flint stole the show!!). I did dig a large, silver, Catholic medallion, which is a common find for Louisiana. In short, we think there is some potential to this field, but we'd have to dig our A$$e$ off to find it, so we will go elsewhere and put this one on the back burner for now...

In that same field I dug this brass tag from an agricultural engine from the 1904-1924 time frame (when this company was in business). Would love to know what it came from, if anyone has any ideas. I know it's the "New Way" company from Lansing Michigan. Model B Type C, 7 Horsepower. The serial number is #1415. Are there any serial number listings from this company available that would narrow the engine to what it was used for and what year it was manufactured?

2.JPG

We decided to go elsewhere after eating lunch on the tailgate of the truck, and we hit the cane again. Pretty soon I heard crazy Cajun cheering and went running to see what ole Shang had found. It was his SECOND military button dug during the marathon hunt--an eagle button that was gilded and said "CADET" on it. Turned out to be a WEST POINT button. ("U.S. Military Academy") I was Stoked to see this button come up. (Have never even seen one dug!) But once it was clean, it was a BEAUTY. Has a SCOVILL MFG CO Backmark.

204_1181.JPG IMG_2547.JPG

Then I dug a questionable signal (probably on edge) and saw the FLASH OF SILVER in the hole! It was a half dime! 1858-O!! Beautiful little coin!

204_1185.JPG 204_1187.JPG

HPIM5438.JPG HPIM5439.JPG

As the shadows got long and the heat got hotter, we were headed out and almost underneath my car I got a nice 82 reading on the F75 and dug a BARBER QUARTER! 1892! Crazy that I had never dug one of these until over 20 years into my detecting career and then all of a sudden they were everywhere. I dug my first in 2014, then two in 2015, and I already have one for 2016. Funny how that works...

204_1193.JPG HPIM5431.JPG HPIM5432.JPG

Two great finds came to light only after we cleaned up all our relics and junk. The first one was a piece of antebellum brass jewelry with an "emerald" paste stone in it. I love digging finds like this. Couldn't tell what it was until the mud was removed!

HPIM5435.JPG
The second find was Shang's THIRD military button for the marathon hunt--and for the year--a 1700s British Navy Cuff Button!! :headbang:

IMG_2548.JPG

Here are the rest of the finds photos:

HPIM5443.JPG HPIM5444.JPG IMG_2209.JPG

HPIM5428.JPG HPIM5440.JPG IMG_2229.JPG

I also eyeballed a lot of pottery and glass, and due to the fact that these were "mixed sites," we saw lots of marbles (clay and glass), baby doll arms and legs, white porcelain underwear buttons, and the likes:

HPIM5426.JPG

Best Wishes,

The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 40
We have missed you, nice digs for y'all....
What I like the most, is your posts...you make it feel like we are hunting with you, always a good read, no matter what you find....

Thanks so much, my friend. I'm glad to see you holding fast here at Tnet. So many of the great folk have left over the 10 years I've been on the forum, it's nice to see one of the "good guys" staying put. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes to you on your Next Hunt,

Buck

Right on man. Did you finish the house? [emoji322]

Awesome relic dig-a-thon!!!
You guys came back on fire!
Congrats awesome finds!

How are your back and knees? Mine hurt just looking at all!

Awesome gilt on those buttons. Just think after being in the ground for all those years they still have that much gold left on them...our modern dollar coins have none left after just days in the ground.

Thanks so much! That was a lot of digging. Many days we go from dawn till dark in the heat. Worth the work but we are worn out!

-Buck

Man its good to see you posting BuckleBoy! I've definitely been missing these Cane Field Bandit posts. Once again, you don't ever disappoint.... killer post and video, with an excellent variety of finds. As always, looking forward to your next one.

-Brad

Thanks so much, my friend. Glad you've been holding down the fort here. I'm planning to do more digging in the future, so we should be posting more often over the summer and fall.

Cheers,

Buck

Very nice man! WTG, I always love your posts and finds.

Thanks Dan! You have been tearing it up this year. Some seriously killer finds, well done. Thank you for the kind words and best wishes,

BB

Chagrinned to see all the loot you're getting. Your finds are my bucket list. Seriously, congratulations on all the fantastic coins, brass, and Enfield Nipple protector with chain. (Have I lead a sheltered life or what). Tried that as Nipple Protector with chain first, and rapidly realized my error. Enlightenment!

Haha, careful what you google!

:laughing9:

I was wondering & starting to worry about y'all, Glad to see the AWESOME finds y'all made.

I like it all but the Nipple Protector With chain is Cool. & Coins are Bad A%$ & the Buttons are what I dream of.
Nice as Heck! Gun flint too.
Davers

Thx, Davers! Yeah I dug the lead piece and the chain separately then put 'em together for the photo. :) Was my first ever of those dug, so I was stoked. Buttons are the best for me too. I'd have gladly traded Shangalang for those awesome buttons. I like finding the flints too. Pretty amazing when you consider that one has to wash out and get seen in order to be recovered. So cool!

Cheers,

Buck

Congrats on all the cool finds BB, I'm never disappointed when I open one of your posts!

Thanks so much, my friend. We've got some lost time to make up for. Hoping to do more digging soon. Thanks for watching/looking, and wishing you all the best,

Buck

We have missed you, nice digs for y'all....
What I like the most, is your posts...you make it feel like we are hunting with you, always a good read, no matter what you find....

Have always tried to turn the Tnet posts into a multimedia version of a MDing magazine, with text and photos interspersed. Thanks so much and I'm really glad to hear from you, Dave!

Cheers,

BB

While the New Way Company was started in 1904, this plate was not produced until after Feb.11, 1908; the date of the last patent shown on the plate.
Don.........

1908-1924 looks like the best range we can come up with. Seems like their serial numbers were not assigned according to type, so not quite sure what type of motor this was on...

Great post and great finds! It was worth the wait for the rest of us. I'm dying to hunt the fields in north LA but can't get permission from anyone. Wishing you continued success and congratulations on some fantastic finds

Sorry I'm late to the show Buck. As usual, you've put together another stellar summary of your hunts topped off with another of your patented silvers. Can't believe you actually have some fields to hunt that far south. I've been locked out for almost 2 months now. Hope you can hit it a few more times before the window closes. Gook luck!

Looks like a museum burned down and you got to detect the site wow Good job

Wowzers! What an impressive lot of treasure! UDAMAN! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back