What's new

Westward Nickels

DesertTumbleweed402

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2008
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chicago
I know that they have a higher metal than face value unlike the other current coins, but does anyone here actually keep them when hunting in nickel boxes? Think they could be worth something one day?
 
Upvote 0
Except for the WWII version with silver in them, the US Nickel has been made up of 75% copper and 25% nickel - size unchanged since 1866. I have found V-nickels and shield nickels while metal detecting and they look exactly the same when in a roll with normal modern nickels.

The metal value in them I believe is currently over five cents. But as far as some Westward ones being different, I do not believe that to be the case as they have not changed the blanks that they use to mint them.

As far as saving them, it may be a good idea. I have read that some time in the near future that the nickels will be changed over to plated steel. I am guessing within the next two years.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)
 
I hunt nickels frequently and do not keep any of the new Jefferson nickels (unless I might happen to find a proof). Way too many of them made to have any extra value for quite some time, at least not enough to make it worth the effort of keeping and storing them. As it is, I only keep pre 56 Jefferson, and keep the war nickels separate from the rest.
 
I figured just keep them in the highest quality you find them for your kids and/or grandkids since they were only minted for one year each. If everyone just spent them around, the vast majority would be in less than desirable quality (as I am finding seems to be the case).
 
DesertTumbleweed402 said:
I figured just keep them in the highest quality you find them for your kids and/or grandkids since they were only minted for one year each. If everyone just spent them around, the vast majority would be in less than desirable quality (as I am finding seems to be the case).

I've done research on coin collecting and even if it looks really good it wont be worth much until 200 years latter unless you buy like a unciriculated or proof set I'm sure you can find them on ebay for like $20 go check um out. :thumbsup:

SEMPER FI :icon_sunny:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom