Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There has been two tusks found in the creek that runs past my house. They are on display in the local museum, and both are larger than your find. That said, looks like a tusk to me, rib bones are flat.

Upvote 0

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wheres a paleontologist when you need one?:BangHead: looks like tusk to me too... i'm not a paleontologist, nor dress up as one on Halloween. :tongue3:

Upvote 0

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Propointer, 11" DD Coil, 5" DD Coil, 8" Concentric Coil, BH Tracker 4, Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a tusk to me. It looks like it has growth rings on it close to your hand, that would mean tusk or horn. It also has groves running the length of it which makes me think tusk. But i am no expert.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There has been two tusks found in the creek that runs past my house. They are on display in the local museum, and both are larger than your find. That said, looks like a tusk to me, rib bones are flat.
I concur (and not just because he is a Navy brother). Ribs are flat and you would see "holes" or cellular-like structure if it were bone. With ivory look at the ends an it would almost appear to have a tree-ring like structure to it.

Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a test for fossilized ivory ....... wet your tongue and stick it to the piece ,,, then slowly pull your tongue away ............ if it is ivory , you will get a similar affect as sticking your tongue to something really really cold ..................your tongue will stick to it for a second ..........

Upvote 0

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
That applies for some fossil bones, too. Sorry that's not a really good test for distinguishing ivory from bone, but it will help to rule out plain stone.

Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yaxthri ........ For my future benefit .... can you give an example of what fossil bones "test" the same as ivory ..... I would like to know since I still do a little fossil hunting here on the Mississippi River .............. Thanks

Upvote 0

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
GT, I think that you have a tusk there. I have taken 4 paleontology classes, but am not a paleontologist, nor have I played one on the Big Screen. But I have been a geologist for almost 40 years and have seen a few tusks come off sites where I was working. Good find! Geologyjohn

Upvote 0

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
yaxthri ........ For my future benefit .... can you give an example of what fossil bones "test" the same as ivory ..... I would like to know since I still do a little fossil hunting here on the Mississippi River .............. Thanks

If I understood your question correctly, to tell them apart you will have to check a crossection if possible. They look quite different as fever87 already wrote above.
Hope this helps. And if in doubt, pick it up and post it here, I'll let you know what I think you have as will other TNeters I'm sure...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread