Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knowing that it would be raining all week here I looked up where it wouldn't be raining until 2:00 pm so I took the hour drive to a 1 of the playgrounds just to get some swing time in. On the way I did some quick research on the town and they had a 1940's playground and a 2006 modern playground that was donated to the city by the richest family in the town. So I went with the old money. I thinking was old my net old land that was just donated recently. I had a conversation with a guy who lived across the street and ask him about the land. He said, "It's fairly new and I think it once had a pecan orchard here before." Well I haven't see a pecan orchard in a while and that gave me the excuse to leave my Storm coil on really out of laziness. Well it paid off, I got a lot of trash, one clad Quarter, 2 Lincolns and 2 Mardi Gras doubloons, which we are plagued with here in Louisiana. Well I got another 94-96 single on the ATP, which is another doubloon, but this one was loud, clear and a DEEP 8 inches! So I went at it and there she was a 1900-O Barber Half Dollar staring up a me!! One on my best finds. You will see that there is some graffiti on the neck and a gouge near the rim. I see a lot of detail but there are some scratches. My question is with all the graffiti should I clean it up so I can see more detail or leave it alone?

I had to leave due to the rain finally catching up to me,but I can't wait to do more research and get back. A day I'll never forget.

IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0873.JPG IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0878.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 61

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the damage someone inflicted on the neck, cleaning it wouldn't hurt the value. It would not be valuable to a collector with that damage, so cleaning would be in order for me, but I would use the aluminum foil, baking soda, and boiling water method. It doesn't cause any additional damage to the coin. Congrats on the nice find.

I agree 100% ,Only if you want the Back/Grey removed, Sorry but I don't agree with finger rubbing with Baking Soda = Micro Scratches .

I think in that condition with the Rim- ding , environmental scratches, + the X on the neck ; it would not matter to many.

At -least the 'X'was done with style.

Ahhh, the way I worry i'd likely leave it as is .

BTW, Congratz on a Super Sweet find a Barber Quarter or Half especially with the 'O' mark are on my G.I.S. List.
Heck only got 3 Barber dimes in all my time.
WTG MAN!!!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree 100% ,Only if you want the Back/Grey removed, Sorry but I don't agree with finger rubbing with Baking Soda = Micro Scratches .

I think in that condition with the Rim- ding , environmental scratches, + the X on the neck ; it would not matter to many.

At -least the 'X'was done with style.

Ahhh, the way I worry i'd likely leave it as is .

BTW, Congratz on a Super Sweet find a Barber Quarter or Half especially with the 'O' mark are on my G.I.S. List.
Heck only got 3 Barber dimes in all my time.
WTG MAN!!!

I tried to use the aluminum foil plus baking soda and hot water and it didn't really do anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingrich

Dec 5, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Makro racer2
Garrett ATpro
FisherF2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The baking soda, foil, and hot water will help with tarnish through a chemical reaction, but only to a certain degree. Baking soda alone acts as a light polish because of its gritty consistency. Like others said I would NEVER try to clean any silver coin that has value, but I do like to shine up my common silvers for a nice display. Always do your research first! Very nice half by the way! [emoji106]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread