bigmike
Jr. Member
Just wanted to rant and blow off some steam. Here in southeast oregon we have some of the best artifact hunting in the country. My grandpa, uncles, cousins and I have hunted them for years. The past couple years natives from up north have complained about people around here using equipment to dig up burial sites and selling artifacts and human remains online. They went to Salem and pitched a fit and next thing you know, the governor had department of state lands temporarily close the lakes to public access. So 2 years have went by and this year Department of state lands has meeting with public about permanent closures of lakes. They had to address local public in a meeting. End result is 2 lakes that are public property are closed down, can’t even ride an atv or run your dog out there. If you are caught you will get a warning and possibly trespassing ticket. If you have a firearm, which most people carry out in the desert, it could be a felony trespass ticket.
everyone I know that collects artifacts here does not sell them. There are people that do but I don’t know any personally. Never had I seen anyone using equipment digging for artifacts. I and all my friends and family consider it taboo to even mess with bones let alone sell them. It’s getting to be the time of year to go look for artifacts and all the good places are closed down. What a shame that a longtime hobby of my family and a lot of friends has been stripped from us! Too much government control on things anymore!
Sorry for the rant, wanted to let people know in case they visit here for artifacts so they don’t end up in court!
Mike
everyone I know that collects artifacts here does not sell them. There are people that do but I don’t know any personally. Never had I seen anyone using equipment digging for artifacts. I and all my friends and family consider it taboo to even mess with bones let alone sell them. It’s getting to be the time of year to go look for artifacts and all the good places are closed down. What a shame that a longtime hobby of my family and a lot of friends has been stripped from us! Too much government control on things anymore!
Sorry for the rant, wanted to let people know in case they visit here for artifacts so they don’t end up in court!
Mike
Upvote
1
I went to original meeting and native lady said she witnessed bones being dug up and saw skull for sale on internet. My friend was looking it up to find it and he found a crystal skull that said native artifact for sale. The native lady couldn’t remember the site and didn’t have any printouts of it she just said she knew what she saw. The only equipment out there is a rancher that owns property that borders state land and he raises alfalfa for his cattle and uses hay equipment for his business. Never have I or any one of my friends ever seen anyone out there digging for artifacts. Any one of us would have called if we saw something like that. That lady made a bunch of stuff up and had absolutely no proof or pictures of anything like that happening, it was just her word that she saw this going on. Even though she stated she had been watching people out there doing this stuff. You would think pictures or video would have been taken so that she had solid proof these things were happening. It’s bad when they can just bring up accusations, have nothing backing it up and then play the burial site and ceremonial part. To close down all that property that was used for a lot more than just looking for artifacts is not right. 






