What am I doing wrong?

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all, :hello:
I've been reading, reading, reading, and yes, more reading, up on all the tips you all have dished out over the threads. And with my Garret Ace 150. (Not much I know,) I can't find anything but clad. Shallow, deep, Sand, or harder soil! I live in Central Massachusetts, in a town from mid 1600's. I've hunted the beach, park, baseball, softball, football fields. My yard. A field. Nothing but clad. I've spent ~10 hours on the machine so far. My house has been in the family for ~150 years. And my yard was just old toy pieces, random iron stuff, and a few copper pennies from 70's. I've been all around town, and nothing older then 1970's! Any tips? What am I forgetting? It's mid-Winter now, and want to be as prepared as I can be for spring.
My goals for this year.
10 Silver Coins.
25 Wheat Pennies
5 Indian Heads
5 Buffalo Nickels.
1 Coin pre-1900.
(Specific Silvers)
2 silver quarters
15 silver dimes.
War Nickel?
Half Dollar?
Dollar?

Hoping for coins for my collection.
Thank you for your time, and if so, your responses.
Wickaboag.8-)

Upvote 0

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are finding coins, so more than likely the places you go are hunted out or you are in the wrong places altogether. You have a low end machine with about ten hours of practice. You really do need to practice more.

It is possible that the "good stuff" from way back is a bit deeper. I am not sure how your machine would react to a silver or copper coin that was ten to twelve inches down.

Do more research on places where people congregated a long time ago. Practice with your machine. By that I mean bury a dime ten inches down and see if you can find it.

Good luck in the future.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
You are finding coins, so more than likely the places you go are hunted out or you are in the wrong places altogether. You have a low end machine with about ten hours of practice. You really do need to practice more.

It is possible that the "good stuff" from way back is a bit deeper. I am not sure how your machine would react to a silver or copper coin that was ten to twelve inches down.

Do more research on places where people congregated a long time ago. Practice with your machine. By that I mean bury a dime ten inches down and see if you can find it.

Good luck in the future.
Thank you GrizLeeBear,
I know I didn't expect to just walk out once, and find myself all the treasure. This is hunting, not finding ;-)
I'll get a lot of practice this spring hopefully. I'm online now comparing a 1936 map to a 2005 map to see what has changed. Noticed an old part from the 30's that has grown in a lot. I hope it's doesn't have to many root systems. Looking for other yards, fields I could hit that friends own.
Thanks for the response and time Griz. :)
Wickaboag

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! You have a new machine, you only have 10 or so hours on it and you are finding newer coins.

I have been at this for a while and some days the older stuff does not want to come out and play. I have probably only managed to put in 30 or so hours so far this year and no silver yet. I am hunting one of the oldest parks in the Kansas City metro. I has producd before. Just no silver yet. Last week I went out and said today is the day! Still no silver. But I did manage to dig up 2 indian head pennies instead. They were a welcome sight. I have probably only dug 5 or so in the last 2 years.

So, lesson is this. You are probably in the right place, some of the shallower junk targets do hide the better stuff that you are after. Next time you find a maybe signal and bad signal very close to each other, try to dig the bad signal first and get it out of the way. This is another rason you always follow the rule, if you dug it up, you take it home. Then pinpoint the better signal and see if your machine is able to find it just a little easier. One more word of wisdom, slow down in these old hunted out spots. They still have some to give up, it just takes a little more work to get them . 10 hours on a new machine is a good start, just keep at it.

Good luck!

HI BOB!
RJGMC

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey RJGMC,
I understand I'm very new, and VERY UNEXPERIENCED. But I have hit a good number of different spots that from what people say, should hold older coins, with no luck.
It's just frustrating sometimes to hear of people going into a city park, finding all sorts of silver and old coins that are desirable, and I can hunt old field, old park, and pull out nothing. Do I need a better machine? What's the problem? :\
Thank you RJGMC, for your time, and comments :)
Wickaboag

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you need a better machine? You have an Ace 150, which is a good starter. You can move up to the 250, the AT Pro, a GTI 1500 or GTI 2500 or move to a different brand altogether. Moving up to a better machine has a diminishing return each step of the way. An AT Pro would be a big move up in both depth and discrimination. The 1500 would be a bit better than that and the 2500 a slight improvement on the 1500. We don't know the type of soil you are in, which can be a factor. If you ask which brand you should get people will tell you what they like. I use a Garrett, so I know more about them. I've never used a White, so I have no idea how that would help you. I know the Garrett is user friendly. I do not know about other brands. Don't forget that you want one that fits your hand and has good balance.

In short, yes, a better detector could be what you need. How much better is a factor of your budget and goals.

Good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RJGMC,
I understand I'm very new, and VERY UNEXPERIENCED. But I have hit a good number of different spots that from what people say, should hold older coins, with no luck.
It's just frustrating sometimes to hear of people going into a city park, finding all sorts of silver and old coins that are desirable, and I can hunt old field, old park, and pull out nothing. Do I need a better machine? What's the problem? :\
Wickaboag
I think you've answered your own question with this post. You should still find some good targets with that machine if you give it enough time, but keep in mind that you're following others with more experience and better equipment and trying to find what they have missed. Not an easy task with an Ace 150.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey RJGMC,
Wickaboag

Here's the deal Wick, you are hitting the same places other detectorists have been hunting since 1975. Stop reading all of our tips, go to YOUR library, join YOUR local historical society, and put more of your precious time into learning something all the metal detectors before you did not know. Your machine is just fine. Make sure you go back and read the manual AGAIN, put your headphones on and slow down by a lot. Keep the coil ON the ground. Every inch you raise it is an inch in depth you lose. Stop whining, and start finding!

A Few Sites to Get You Started:

1) Old Schools
2) City/Town Parks
3) Circus/Fair Sites
4) Old Churches
5) Old Homestead Sites
6) Swimming Holes and Areas
7) Picnic Groves
8) Athletic Fields
9) Scout Camps
10) Rodeo Arenas
11) Campgrounds
12) Ghost Towns
13) Beaches
14) Old Taverns
15) Roadside Rest Stops
16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
17) Amusement Parks
18) Rural Mailboxes
19) Reunion Areas
20) Revival sites
21) Fort Sites
22) Winter Sledding Areas
23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
24) Church Supper Groves
25) Fishing Spots
26) Fishing Camps
27) Resorts
28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
29) Battle Sites
30) Band Shells
31) Racetracks
32) Rural Boundary Walls
33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
35) Flea Market Areas
36) Ski Slopes
37) Drive Ins
38) Canal Paths
39) Vacant Lots
40) Motels
41) College Campuses
42) Farmer Market Areas
43) Town Squares
44) Urban Yards and Backyards
45) Disaster Sites
46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
48) Mining Camps
49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
50) Hiking Trails
51) Waterfalls
52) Rural Dance Sites
53) Lover's Lanes
54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
56) Fence Posts
57) Chicken Houses
58) Bridges and Fords
59) Flower Beds
60) Playgrounds
61) Old Garbage Dumps
62) Cloth Lines
63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
64) Wells and Outhouses
65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
68) Old Stone Quarries
69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The good stuff is still out there Wicka, even in the pounded sites. It may be just out of reach.
Put your time in and get your wings, then decide if it's time to upgrade. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread