🥇 BANNER What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got permission for a new colonial site that I've had my eye on for some time. No, this is not the holy grail site I referred to in my last post, but the way it turned out it might as well have been. As I was driving down the lane approaching the house a beautiful bald eagle flew directly in front of my truck so things were starting out right. Then the first signal I got when I walked out in the field was a NY cuff button that fell apart in my hand, but that was still a good sign. After that I wandered around for a bit without finding much, then ventured to another part of the property where I found a musketball, then a 3-ringer and an eagle button not long after. So I decided to hunker down in that spot for a while. As I usually do at colonial sites I dig all non-ferrous targets as many of the tombacs, other small buttons, buckle pieces, etc, often come in quite low on the conductivity scale. As a result I end up digging loads of lead buck shot which I was certainly doing yesterday. I got another one of those hits, maybe just a tad higher on the scale of my F75, and it was a very consistent 27. I knew it was very shallow so I stuck my shovel in at a low angle, then flipped the 2-inch scraping upside down. Immediately I saw a beautiful gold coin staring back at me. I was lucky I didn't hit it with the shovel. I eventually had the nerve to actually touch it, and it turned out to be a gorgeous 1852 one dollar gold piece. I was stunned to say the least. Took me a while to get my wits about myself, then I started hunting the same area a little more slowly. I think I dug one more bullet, then got another nice deep sounding bullet signal. Dug a fairly deep hole (12") and the target was still in the bottom. Finally I got it out and was looking at the back of what I thought was a large pewter spoon. But it was quite heavy. I flipped it over and started scraping the wet dirt out with my fingers when that magical "US" started to appear and I realized I had just unearthed my first US boxplate complete with lead backing. What a hunt this was turning out to be! Later in the day I found a nice piece of cut silver which completed the trifecta. I also dug a nice assortment of other colonial and CW relics including a colonial hoe I pulled from a trash pit. When I was cleaning the finds this afternoon I noticed that what I thought was another beat up NY button turned out to be a Mass coat, also a first for me. And to top things off I thought I saw some writing around the edge of one of the large flat buttons, and after putting it in a warm hydrogen peroxide bath for a while I could see the word "Carolus" so I knew I had dug a spanish colonial copper. Anyway, it was an incredible day that I won't soon forget. This is probably my best hunt ever aside from the 2 days I found the twin hammered silver caches 4 years ago. HH to all!

Attachments

• 031712b.JPG
    031712b.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 4,034
  • 031712c.JPG
    031712c.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 3,345
  • 031712d.JPG
    031712d.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 3,348
  • 031712e.JPG
    031712e.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 3,295
  • 031712f.JPG
    031712f.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 3,372
  • 031712g.JPG
    031712g.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 3,324
  • 031712a.JPG
    031712a.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 4,022
  • 031712k.JPG
    031712k.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 3,424
  • 031712j.JPG
    031712j.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 3,333
  • 031712i.JPG
    031712i.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 3,344
  • 031712h.JPG
    031712h.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 3,324
Upvote 10
Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Bill D. (VA) said:
Steve in PA said:
Bill, whenever I see one of your posts, I go right to it because I know it's gonna be good. More often than not it's exceptional :headbang: Like today :laughing7:

I may have to follow you around during DIV XXI later this week :icon_pirat:

Thanks Steve, but you may want to reconsider following me around as I may lead you astray as I try to learn this darn GPX-5000.

Ditto what Steve said..... :thumbsup:

But wait till you take the GPX back to that site, it may just blow you away with what you missed. :)

Its not a hard machine to run, the first time out with mine i dug a dozen bullets and loads of brass Spencer casings with only about 5 minutes of training from my dealer... :) If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

............Sweet Little Lady.........

Great hunt, congrats on banner!

Your post and pictures made my heart go thumpitythump! Ohhh, what a day! Congratulations and thank you for sharing with us your finds.............63bkpkr

GOLD and CW Relics!!! Woooooooo Hoooooooo! Way to go! Congratulations on a well deserved BANNER day! :thumbsup: Breezie

Colonial Silver, a Mid 19th Century American Gold Coin, and a Civil War Box Plate - it really does not get much better than that! Congrats on the Banner!

Dang...Now That's a Nice Hunt! Congrats on all the good finds. Any single one of those would be huge in my book!

Keep it Up!!!

MJ

nice awsome holy smokes wow :o :notworthy:

The broad sweep across the board of stellar finds is amazing: Civil War, Gold Coin, and First Rate Colonial finds.

Certainly a banner day. Looks like you might want to stay in that field for a while. :thumbsup:

:blob7: :headbang: :hello2: :thumbsup: :wav:
Congratulations on finding what would be an awesome season for me in one hunt. That gold coin is a beauty!

HH!! :hello:
Cm2db

well deserved! you put your time in and work hard! looks like there is still mint luster on that gold coin :thumbsup:

what a hunt ...what a spot!!!! congrats!!!

Man Bill did you have a golden horse shoe strapped to your back before you started detecting! All of the stuff we all hope to find bundled in a single hunt! Beautiful :notworthy:

Super fantastic hunt !! Congrats!!!! :icon_thumleft:

You should supply drool bibs with your posts....my gosh...what a haul. I would have been flying over a day like that too. Awesome.

That is one AWESOME gold coin!! :icon_thumleft:

nice

Attachments

• 11.gif
    11.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 870
  • 11.gif
    11.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 852

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back