what are these made of?

ilyaz

Oct 2, 2010
I picked up a bunch of plates and pots from garage sale leftovers and now am trying to figure out what they are made of. The magnet test was negative for all of them.

-- The one on the top left is a pressure cooker. I think those are made of either aluminum or stainless steel, but how do I tell which it is?
-- The two pieces on the bottom left have the word "silverplated" stamped on the back plus some other indistinguishable markers
-- The one on the top right is very light.

Thanks

Attachments

• pots_pans_plates.jpg
    pots_pans_plates.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 488

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
There should be a stamp on the bottom of the pressure cooker unless it is worn off. I would guess aluminum or stainless steel.

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run a file across them or drill a hole. Stainless is tough and you probably won't hardly get a scratch or get a hole in them. Aluminum is soft and you will easly get a hole in it or a scratch. I have recycled a lot of kitchen items since my wife helps in a large kitchen. I am guessing the two large lids are stainless steel since it turns dark when it is over heated. The one with the two handles with the dark ring looks like aluminum that has got hot and not washed well over time. I'm sure there not copper plated.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
don't forget to take handles off and any other metalic items like the screws or rivets that hold the handles on.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
That pressure cooker sells for $60 wal mart if you have the lid the gasket is not too expensive you can ebay that thing and get far more than scrap for it. If anything you can use it a few times cooking roast and get your money back that way. Cook a roast where you can pull apart with a fork in an hour. I cook spaghetti sauce one hour taste like you cooked it all day. Don't know what you are missing if you never tried to cook with one of them.

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To tell the difference between aluminum and non-magnetic stainless steel, you need to run a grinder of some sort across the metal to see if it sparks. If it sparks, then it is stainless. Also, steel is 3 times heavier than aluminum.... so if you pick it up, and it seems rather light, then it is probably aluminum.

OP
OP
I

ilyaz

Oct 2, 2010
theirratonalist said:
Also, steel is 3 times heavier than aluminum.... so if you pick it up, and it seems rather light, then it is probably aluminum.

Yes, the dull pieces seem to be aluminum: I scratched them with a s'driver and that left marks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread