What are these rocks worth? Pictures inside.

Jan 14, 2013
Over there, Somewhere. K-town
Detector(s) used
Electrons. A lot of them.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20140314_165617.jpg 20140314_165623.jpg 20140314_165548.jpg 20140314_165409.jpg 20140314_165331.jpg 20140314_165314.jpg 20140314_165134.jpg 20140314_165126.jpg 20140314_164938.jpg 20140314_165010.jpg 20140314_165021.jpg

I know a gentleman who wants to free up his collection. 95% of these rocks are handpicked. Is there a market for this? Ebay is all over the place. His collection is overwhelming. I'll have to get a video of the basement. The amethyst you see near the fireplace is over 150 lbs!

Location of this collection is located near New Ulm, Minnesota.

Last edited:

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the collection worth?.. It's worth sharing with TreasureNet's rock horders society :)

One can not place a value of items like this because the market fluctuates.. Alternatively you can split the crystals up into several groups.. give some a local school's geology class or collage.. or open your own shop.. even create your own club, hold a raffle for part of the collection or all of it based on the collections groupings..

I personally would pay $20.00 for a raffle at the chance to own this collection assuming your raffle is legit and held here. could be great ex poser for you and TN members.

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
It is not possible to get an accurate appraisal on them based on just a photo. A rockhound or a gemologist will need to have them in their hands to set a value. Even then you will get values all over the park depending on who you ask.
To get an even remotely accurate appraisal you will need an expert. And they will charge money.
I would recomend contacting a local rock and gem club. See if any members a willing to look at the collection in person. They should be able to give you a ballpark figure and tell you which pieces have value.
From the pics it looks like you have lots of cut and pollished geodes as well as several nice crystal specimens. Some appear to be what I would call museum quality.
If you want to take the time to sell them individualy you would make far more money than if you sold them as one lot.
Send a few of these pics to the geology dept. Ask if they know of any museum that is adding to their collection.
Or rent a truck and take them to Tuscon for the rock and gem show.

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to buy some of them! I would be willing to drive up to look at them. Please let me know if that is possible.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Baja nailed it. A professional would have to look at them to get an appraisal. However, gemmologists usually deal with cut gemstone.
Try finding someone dealing mostly with specimens! Are they catalogued, like where they come from etc?

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to buy some of them! I would be willing to drive up to look at them. Please let me know if that is possible.

Hey Mamma, google "Rock and Gem" magazine and go to their "show dates" page. There are rock and gem shows all over the country and in your state. There are many fine specimens available at these shows, and usually at reasonable prices. MSU could do the same, go to a local show and see what items like his go for. The outdoor shows often have better prices than the indoor shows, as do shows that are put on by local mineral clubs rather than those put on by show promoters. For all you N.Y. and N.J. folks there is a good show in Franklin, N.J. in the last weekend of April. Especially good for flourescents, but many other fine specimens show up there.

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa Nelly! That's a lotta rock! And it could be worth a good chunk of change, but what everyone else said was right. You've got to get it into professional hands for accurate assessment. And sell as smaller lots- if that's what he's planning on doing. Thank you for the show- those pics are a TRIP (and worth a trip too!)
Yakker

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is some money there for sure!some are fantastic specimens! that rock crystal terminated ,in front of the boot.looks almost too perfect.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread