✅ SOLVED What are these structures inside of cellar holes?

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 of these structures inside a really nice, large cellar hole. What are they? Root cellars? Storage areas? Why have the stone roof, when the floor from the building would have acted like a ceiling in the basement? Has anybody see these before or know what their use was?
AF6DF3AF-6B18-4EE8-83AB-003136A2BEDD.jpeg
D827A168-1417-432E-A7B5-826B0F89F6EA.jpeg

5E5F861D-E168-4FAE-B38A-4BAB888186A5.jpeg
997038D0-1C4A-4833-A1DC-16318C087F11.jpeg

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could they have been foundation support structures?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could they have been foundation support structures?
I mean maybe.... but that doesn't really make since to me. If they were support structures you would think they would..
A: be the same size
B: probably be in the corners, thats how you would add the most strength
C: if they were support for the foundation caving in. you would think there would be some on the longest sides. Thats where the biggest chance for problems would be. Right in the middle of the longest sections. farthest away from the corners.

this is a crude layout of the structures and cellar hole i did real quick on my phone. (not to scale)
3769A5C8-F148-476B-B288-92917D997044.jpeg

Upvote 5

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK..not part of the foundation then. Any idea of the age of the place?

Upvote 1

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a butchering area for game. Or protection for glass jars of food. Another possibility would be an area to build fires for smoking the meat.

Upvote 2

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good ol' livestock shelters...

Still make them to this day, only out of plastic :-(

One of your foundations is likely the house, the other across the draw was likely the barn or old bar foundation repurposed as a livestock enclosure with stone shelters added.

calf shelter.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 4
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK..not part of the foundation then. Any idea of the age of the place?
not yet, but am thinking probably 1800's with a chance its older. I cant find the other cellar hole on any map yet.
found the big one on an 1857 topo. also dug a 1917 merc and flat button 1917 Merc w/Full Split Bands? & the nicest cellar holes I’ve seen
Some good ol' livestock shelters...

Still make them to this day, only out of plastic :-(

One of your foundations is likely the house, the other across the draw was likely the barn or old bar foundation repurposed as a livestock enclosure with stone shelters added.
Really though? they are really tiny and only 3 of them. the biggest could hold a pig maybe, with no room to move or turn around. The smallest a few chickens at best. And again why would you need a stone roof for that when the floor of the building would be right there acting as a ceiling. Seems like a lot of work for a livestock pen, when if it was a barn they could just be constructed out of wood upstairs.

Upvote 2

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really though? they are really tiny and only 3 of them. the biggest could hold a pig maybe, with no room to move or turn around. The smallest a few chickens at best. And again why would you need a stone roof for that when the floor of the building would be right there acting as a ceiling. Seems like a lot of work for a livestock pen, when if it was a barn they could just be constructed out of wood upstairs.
Yes, really, seen them before. They do not appear to be part of the original foundation. They were likely built using the barn foundation as a backwall and were made after the original barn came down (either burnt or blown or taken down) hence why they have their own roof on them. They aren't meant to house large animals, just young/small livestock (or maybe dogs, who knows). They probably penned up newborn calves in them overnight so they didn't get eaten or freeze or wander off.

Remember, people only raised a few livestock back in the day, not like nowadays where farmers have hundreds or thousands of livestock. I live on a heifer farm with about 300 ladies just across my yard!

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about the process, but could there be a possible connection to the process of making maple syrup? Maybe a big pot sat on that flat top stone.

Upvote 1

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think it is a place that stays cool dry store food fish meat salts keeping it away from the animals and other unwanted pests
Or a bathroom for midget's🙃

Upvote 1

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find and images.
Probably not a fireplace as there would be evidence: charcoal, soot on the stones, etc.

Also, would the top stone have survived intense heat without shattering?

Upvote 2

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Interesting find and images.
Probably not a fireplace as there would be evidence: charcoal, soot on the stones, etc.

Also, would the top stone have survived intense heat without shattering?
I agree, but it could be to strengthen the footing under a fireplace; a pylon so to speak.

Upvote 6

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We get to guess?

Dense masonry =thermal mass.
Maybe someone was really into wine brewing and storage.
Consistent temps is not a bad thing. And variations during certain stages to.
Storage of finished and during fermentation though , the two biggest desires for consistency.
With out better control of temp and or big temp swings brewing (quality brewing) is more limited as to time of year. And some brewing took months to get a finished drink. Plus aging depending on wine.

And , what was more common than wine and even water at times? Aye. Cider.
Once keeping air and foreign air born yeast out of the finished product to prevent it becoming vinegar more than cider, unless you had a springhouse to help keep things cooler in summer or set a barrel in a run/creek ect...We're back to using the earth and cooler night temps.

Under the floor. Out of sight. Less risk of being seen. Less potential theft or temptation.
Very small holes could be used to keep something cooler than an entire basement. Undermining only parts below the structure.

An old house we lived in was seen again a couple weekends ago.
Hada coal burner in the basement. With a coal bin of course.
But there were wooden "bins" we'd go in during bad storms.
I was told they were for vegetable storage.

Your huts look about right to roll a standing barrel under.
And some veggies store better away from certain others.
A barrel can allow dried grass straw corn husks sand or whatever for insulation if desired.
With additional barrel outside structure barrel goes in removing the contents for periodic inspection is easy as putting the good in the additional barrel.
As with a root cellar (and burying a barrel in a bank of earth is a basic start)humidity being steady is good.
If the structure above was still intact there might be seen a way(s) to control air in and out. (Trap cooler night air in addition to steady / constant below ground temp.
Sprinkling water wouldn't be difficult if needed to raise humidity. Or a previously soaked lime or sandstone swapped out.

Upvote 3

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wonder if these small structures could have served two purposes. One as a fruit cellar, or a small cooling area for meat, etc. as suggested, and two as a possible storm shelter. Just a thought. These are very interesting and definitely served a purpose. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 1

lightspirt

Jul 26, 2023
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Spirit of the Universe
3 of these structures inside a really nice, large cellar hole. What are they? Root cellars? Storage areas? Why have the stone roof, when the floor from the building would have acted like a ceiling in the basement? Has anybody see these before or know what their use was?
View attachment 2098305 View attachment 2098302
View attachment 2098304 View attachment 2098306
Wow! Great site. those can be very very old sites. Your in a good state for them. A great detection site.

Ancient Stone Mysteries of New England

Amazing Viking Age Village

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread