cactusman
Full Member
- Joined
- Nov 15, 2015
- Messages
- 235
- Reaction score
- 541
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Western USA
- Detector(s) used
- Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
I use my Lesche tool, unless the signal is 4 inches or closer to the surface, then I pop it out with a screwdriver, as if you've been doing it for a while it's much faster than anything else, and you won't ever touch the item, as you're under it, using it to push the dirt under the item up.
I basically grew up metal detecting, starting around age 7-8, and while I got away from it in my 20's, racing motorcycles when I got back into MD'ing I found that my old screwdriver skills hadn't left me, but certainly love my Lesche tool. I have most of what the great Karl Von Mueller wrote in my library -- it should be mandatory reading. I am wondering if the digging tool he was talking about wasn't more like a trowel or other small shovel-like tool -- not something you could cut a good clean plug with like most of today's digging tools.
I basically grew up metal detecting, starting around age 7-8, and while I got away from it in my 20's, racing motorcycles when I got back into MD'ing I found that my old screwdriver skills hadn't left me, but certainly love my Lesche tool. I have most of what the great Karl Von Mueller wrote in my library -- it should be mandatory reading. I am wondering if the digging tool he was talking about wasn't more like a trowel or other small shovel-like tool -- not something you could cut a good clean plug with like most of today's digging tools.
But in getting back to subject, I did remember a friends' father-in-law who used to detect back in the late 70s and early 80s would carry a Ka-Bar or similar type knife to use to cut plugs and items out. He and several co-workers worked on a mall near northern VA and after work when the bulldozers shut down, they would detect the plowed dirt and piles and come out with bullets, buckles, some coins, etc. Some good shape some not. But they all carried the knives if I recalled, maybe that was just that group.







