What Can You Tell Me About This Bell-Ans Bottle? No Pix, Sorry

T

TreasureTales

Geez I wish I had a digital camera so I could take and post photos on this website. But before I can afford a camera, I have to get some extra money. To that end, I have to sell some junk...uh, I mean ANTIQUES. So please help me separate the wheat from the chaff so I won't try to sell something that is worthless and won't give something away that is valuable.

First Item up for identification: small amber "BELL-ANS" bottle
shape: cylindrical
height: 3"
glass: amber
embossed: " BELL - ANS (on the side)

What I know about this bottle: It contained stomach-upset medication (bicarbonate of soda in tablet form). There's a website showing a newspaper ad for the stuff dated 1918, the bottle looks quite similar but the ad is in B&W and there is a paper label on the bottle in the ad. There is certainly space to allow for a label.

What I don't know: Date of manufacture (time span)? Value? Type of seal (cap, cork, lead seal)?

THANKS FOR ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN PROVIDE

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello TreasureTales,,,
I found a bottle awhile back that I think is the same as the one you are talking about.
I haven't come up with any info on it, but I can provide a picture...
Is this like the one you have?..

Attachments

• BellAns.jpg
    BellAns.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,553
OP
OP
T

TreasureTales

Leon said:
Hello TreasureTales,,,
I found a bottle awhile back that I think is the same as the one you are talking about.
I haven't come up with any info on it, but I can provide a picture...
Is this like the one you have?..
Hey Leon, YES, yours looks like mine, or vice versa. lol Anyhow, thanks for posting the pic. I sure as heck hope somebody helps us out with info.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Your welcome, I am very happy to help...
After seeing your post I had to take another look for info...
The only info I have found is from a bottle I spotted on ebay. It's a different bottle, but the seller has posted an ad he claims to be from around 1918 that has a bottle that looks like ours. Closes thing I have found to any kind of a date...

Here's a link to that site: http://cgi.ebay.com/BELL-ANS-Antique-Brown-Glass-Medicine-Bottle_W0QQitemZ6253668225QQcategoryZ895QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not sure if there were only six pills in the bottle when purchased, or if you had to take six pills. Seems like a lot of pills just for indigestion... ;D

P.S.> Also, just found this site that shows the bottle with a cork attached to a metal ring... ( about half way down the page )
http://www.bullworks.net/virtual/infopages/remedies.htm

Attachments

• Bell_Ans_Ad_1918.jpg
    Bell_Ans_Ad_1918.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 3,873
OP
OP
T

TreasureTales

Hey Leon, you're doing great with the research. I found the 1918 newspaper ad and the email auction item, but not the cork screw and cork stopper. Good on ya! Can't imagine our little bottles are worth more than a dollar or two. But that's OK, it's not like it takes up much room!!!
Thanks and happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread