What could this be - 3 (and the last - honest ;) ?

tileys

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Hi all,

I'm new here; I found the forum and thought it just the place to get some idea on 3 objects I have that I don't have much of an idea on.

First, a bit of background...My Dad is (or rather was sadly) the 'treasure hunter' - he had a long history of metal detecting, first with a detector he put together himself and then with a Garrett which I think he was pretty taken with. He did a lot of beachcombing on holidays and when I was younger also detected on a few fields near my hometown in rural Northamptonshire in England.

I'm not sure where this object was found to be honest but it was in with a collection of roman and english coins. I got it out for a look recently due a resurgence in interest in archaeology after watching a few excellent episodes of "Time Team". :)

The object looks like a buckle but ? and what for if it is ?

It is not magnetic and looks like brass or bronze or copper - the other side of it isn't as corroded and is more yellowy in colour. There is a small 'nipple' on both outside edges of the part in contact with the surface in the photo - you can just about see the shadow cast by the one nearest the camera - the 'nipple' as I've called it puts me in mind of the pins you have on watch straps which you compress to fit into a hole in the shoulder of the watch.

The edges of the object are more defined on this face than on the face away from the camera which is more rounded which makes me think that we are looking at the bottom of the object in the photo below.

It is just over an inch across by about an inch and two thirds long and the 'depth' of the object would be about a centimetre (sorry, mixing my systems there - about half an inch).

If it was a buckle it looks about the right size for a pair of dress trousers but wouldn't grace a pair of jeans easily ! ;)

So, that's it...any ideas and I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks very much, have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Steve

Attachments

• whatisitbuckle1.jpg
    whatisitbuckle1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 362

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread