What's new

What could this be?

sonnyjam

Full Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
63
Golden Thread
0
What is this? Its 2 5/8" long, and 1/4" wide. Made of copper. The top of the clamp has some kind of oval emblem but, not readable. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF4831.webp
    DSCF4831.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 488
  • DSCF4832.webp
    DSCF4832.webp
    24 KB · Views: 491
  • DSCF4833.webp
    DSCF4833.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 478
  • DSCF4834.webp
    DSCF4834.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 481
the end part without the clamp reminds me of a telegraph machine/morse code
 
Upvote 0
I think its a ink pen clip
 
Upvote 0
1800's Card cheater/holder.
 
Upvote 0
Yes, it is an 'up the sleeve' Card Cheater. I have several, and most were made by Wizard with the patent date of 1889. The round portion was used as a cuff stud, while the teeth portion held the card up into the sleeve. The one I've pictured from my collection has the sleeve clip instead of the round stud button. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • WizardCheat.webp
    WizardCheat.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 392
  • WizardCardCheat.webp
    WizardCardCheat.webp
    7.1 KB · Views: 621
Upvote 0
cedarratt said:
1800's Card cheater/holder.
Breezie said:
Yes, it is an 'up the sleeve' Card Cheater. I have several, and most were made by Wizard with the patent date of 1889. The round portion was used as a cuff stud, while the teeth portion held the card up into the sleeve. The one I've pictured from my collection has the sleeve clip instead of the round stud button. Breezie

Holy smokes cedarratt and Breezie! That is a great ID. :thumbsup:

Neat piece. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
WOW!!!Great I.D. and awesome find!!!I stand corrected,I was sure it was one of those clip on pen clios with the end bent over but looking closer I see that the jaws are hinged......my bad sorry
 
Upvote 0
Here's a pic of another one I have showing the patent date of Feb 5, 1888. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • WizardPatent.webp
    WizardPatent.webp
    42 KB · Views: 362
Upvote 1
WTG cedarrat & Breezie. I looked at that thing a couple times and had no idea.
 
Upvote 0
Didn't people get shot for that in all the wild west films?

Great find :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
U all give up so fast . Nerds!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks ya'll, but things are easy to ID if you have several of them staring you in the face. I collect gambling/gaming memorabilia among other junkque. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • cuff adjuster.webp
    cuff adjuster.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCF4831.webp
    DSCF4831.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0
Kansas said:
I posted the same item on here last January 6th '09

PBK posted this: http://www.google.com/patents?id=Hv...+shirt+cuff&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

I guess you could use it to hold a card, but they were made to hold cuffs on shirts.

~KANSAS~

Kansas, yes you are correct; technically they were sold as cuff holders and advertised as cuff holders, but were also used to cheat in faro and poker for a hold-out card. I guess it's like 'cigarette rolling paper' of today, which is generally used for rolling something else, yet sold for cigarettes. As long as people have been gambling, people have been cheating. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
I am sure there were many variations and used for different reasons. :D

I was only commenting on the one Sonnyjam posted.

~KANSAS~
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom