All Treasure Hunting
20220128_135207.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this area,in timberland you can sometimes find old carved trees called "witness trees", the markings usually denote a section corner or such is nearby.I,ve seen some with a cross,but usually accompanied by numbers that mean the corner involved. If you know how to read those you can sometimes find an iron pin or such that is the exact section corner or intersection of corners.Just a thought for you.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Arbo - glyphs need to be taken in context.
History of area. Activities by whom. Any tradition involved.

Hunters and others have marked trees.
Here's some context examples of an area with known activities helping sort out origins.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
May have buried their dog there.

I was thinking where someones ashes were laid. It very much looks like
a grave marker of some type.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you spend a lot of time in woods,especially older woods,carved trees are not rare.People been carving on trees since man invented a sharp rock. I always attempt to place some type of interpretation on them,even if it,s my own.Never know when it,s the key to a cache,so investigate. Always,I do,just for my own entertainment. No cache yet!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a softwood tree, likely in the 30-50 year old range max. So you can rule out it being connected to any old world treasure burial. Given it is using initials, a cross and an arrow pointing to the base, as Newnan pointed out, it's likely a pet grave.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread