What detector for blind person?

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to get my wife to go detecting with me. I have a MXT and just got an Excalibur ll to play in the water with so I can start her on the MXT. She would only be on dry sand, parks, yards and fields. I am thinking that a pin point coil would be better than DD and a detector that had various sounds would be better as visual screens won't work. Any Blind detectors out there, what do you use?

Upvote 0
First I have to say kudos for the attempt to interest your wife in the hobby and I seriously hope there is someone who can help you in your questions. With only a few years of experience with a couple detectors I can probably only offer a little. I do believe with a little help this could open a wonderful experience for your wife. Dry sand could be the perfect place to start since using a sifter would be much easier than digging dirt. But sod could come later with more confidence and experience. With a set of head phones and some practice I bet she can do it. There is no reason any one of the current detectors on the market that have an audible tone for different metal targets shouldn't work. Thinking out loud on how to help keep directions and bearings, one could improvise a couple stakes and a length of rope thick enough to be felt when stepping on it yet not get in the way of the coil. Might not be perfect but could be an easy way to grid an area without much outside help for a while. Working a sand beach or even sod could present a bit of a problem with occasional sharp objects so that should be considered too. Gloves and a little caution should prevent any mishap. You could even look into some of the Kevlar gloves used for filleting fish as long as they are thin enough. An audible and vibrating pin pointer (Garrett Pro Pointer) could help with this as well. I'm excited to hear how this works out. You may very well be pioneering something here that could help many people. Look at the AT Pro's they have lots of variations in tones using the Pro Modes. May be a place to start anyway.

Thanks hunter, I will check out the AT Pro. I think stakes and a rope will work but not so sure of headphones and gloves. She needs to hear what is happening around her and she sees with her fingers so gloves won't work either. Beaches should be a good place to start.

There are aftermarket headphones that only cover one ear. I have on occasion used just used one ear phone of the pair for various reasons. I can still hear the detector and the sounds around me. I hate being surprised by anything. You may even be able to modify the factory type by removing one side and adding a small pad.. Good luck my friend and please keep us posted.

A good set of in-ear head phones with just one ear in works well for me when I NEED to be aware of my surroundings for safety. I use Etymotics with an inline volume control. Is you wife completely blind or can she make out shapes and shadows? I wish you both luck in your endeavor.

Agree on the AT Pro. In pro mode it not only has 3 different tones for different types of metals. but the louder the tone the closer to the surface and the fainter the tone the deeper it is. This might help give her an idea of the depth of the target with out visual aid.

You can set 190 different tones on the V3i.

Using a one side headphone may work, she would have to decide. Looked at AT Pro, it seems that to set it up you need to watch a screen and she would not like that. She will want something that she can set herself so the detector will have to be manually set without a digital display. She now has no useful sight, she has RP and when younger could see but not anymore.

With experience a user will also be able to tell bottle caps from good targets with the ATPro....also iron targets have a noticeable grunt. I would think that she would learn the sounds of the ATpro quicker than a person who can see. I have gotten to the point where i only use the readout for verification on targets. Also mashed soda cans will sound good, but if you can raise the coil 6 inches or so and still have a good signal, its probably a can or other large trash item. The smaller 5x8 coil would also probably help with pinpointing a targets exact location and a propointer would definatly help her greatly. Also, if you have a foil range or lower mid-tone target, you can swing the coil through the target fast and foil or trash will generally breakup or sound bad...where as a small ring or other jewelry will not.....hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Another suggestion would be the Compadre from Tesoro. Only 1 knob that sets the disc. If you were to put some type of brail dots around the disc knob she could easily set-up and use this machine herself. It has a very loud external speaker so headphones would probably not be needed. Very simple machine to use and probably the lightest machine you can buy. Available with 5.75 inch coil or 8 inch....my son uses a 5.75 inch model.

Ed your right..... the set up on an AT would be kind of intense, didn't think of that one. This will be an important part of deciding on which one. If it's too difficult she could very easily become disappointed and she doesn't deserve anymore of that. Got a feeling when this thread gets rolling you will find some good advice on other detectors. Better yet would be one if our members lived close to you and could offer a test drive. In fact I have a Bounty Hunter 505 sitting idle. New last spring with three coils 4", stock 8", and an 11" DD. It has an on/off and discrimination knob with four digital buttons on the face. All metals, discrimination, notch and auto notch. The all metals button gives you a threshold (hum) The rest when pushed offers the user an audible beep corresponding to the button, second button two beeps, third button three beeps and so on. There are digital screens which give approximate target and depth but obviously that will be of no use. Targets sound off by different tones and that's something she would have to pick up. Test garden in your back yard would be good practice. This may sound crazy and I have no idea where you are but assume its some where near the ocean and in a much warmer climate than I'm in right now. You take a look at the specs and some videos on the BH505. I may very easily be convinced to ship this to you and cover the cost. If it works we can talk about a reasonable price, If it doesn't.... ship in back and move on.

Years ago I had a detected a guy who was legally blind. (Not totally blind) Anyway he used a White's Classic II or III and he would tromp me just about every outing. Just a warning for you.:laughing7:

A lot of people say that Garrett Detectors such as the AT Pro and Ace series have very audible bell tone signals. The coinmaster GT is exceptionally loud, so I try to use headphones while using them. I like to see someone overcoming their personal obstacles to try something new and exciting! Makes me smile.

Let her try using a plastic glove like a doctor would use very thin i think she would still have good feeling so she don,t cut her self on any thing sharp just a idea and her ears will be her eyes the things you can think of are endless she will love it.

Blind people other senses are generally heightened higher then a person with all there senses.

You know Tesoro's don't even have a screen. It's just knobs and buttons. There aren't even many of them either so if she knew them by memory then she'd be able to control it all without a problem.

I have the A T gold and if I close my eyes and just listen and stop where she sounds, it dead on the target. It has different sounds and volumes to really give you more info on what youve got. I think your wife might really enjoy hunting with a garrett all terrain metal detector. Happy hunting! And its waterproof for 10 ft.

Ordered a Tesoro Compadre and will try it at the beach, will let you know how things work out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back