What detector should I buy?

brazilian

Greenie
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys! I'm hunting for a buried treasure about 25 years ago and I need help finding the right metal detector model for what I need.

What I'm going to look for are family jewels that I believe are in some packaging measuring approximately 30cm x 40cm is probably buried to a depth that certainly does not exceed 1m.

The land where I will search has many ancient materials such as yarns, cans, etc. The land has many trees and the soil of the place is clay.

I have something around 1500USD of budget and I would like tips of good brands and models more suitable for this demand. Any help is welcome. Thank you in advance !!!

Enviado de meu SM-G935F usando Tapatalk

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but I would just get a pi machine and dig every single signal I found.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3' is a long way down, but the size of the container would help.

If the container is made of metal, combined with the contents.......then a lot of detectors should be able to get that large of an object to beep.

Is this just a one time hunt, and once you are done you're finished hunting?

Do you have a large area of land to hunt?

Are you certain of the area in which it is buried?

Depending on your answers you could likely rent some equipment/people to search an area for you, and you wouldn't have to go through the learning curve of a metal detector.

If this however is more of a hunt and peck sort of thing, then that would change my answer.

You could range from a Garrett AT Pro or AT Gold or even an AT Max, to an XP Deus, to a Whites MXT, heck spend a bit more cash and go for a Minelab CTX 3030.

The range is huge and the possibilities are unlimited.

I would however look for a machine that would allow you to change to a large coil (like the CTX), as a 17" coil can give you extra depth in your search.

I also hear that the Nokta Impact is a great machine.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look for a used Minelab SD, GP, or GPX pulse induction metal detector. Nothing else in your price range will go deep enough. :skullflag:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure but an older M-Scope Fisher like my 1265X may detect a 14X13" metal box at 39".:dontknow:
At least I would like to think it would.:laughing7:
I'm sure a PI would probably do it as well as some of the others.
Marvin

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Garrett ATX would do it and don't tell me you can't buy one with the deepseeker coil for that price because I've done it.

OP
OP
B

brazilian

Greenie
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3' is a long way down, but the size of the container would help.

If the container is made of metal, combined with the contents.......then a lot of detectors should be able to get that large of an object to beep.

Is this just a one time hunt, and once you are done you're finished hunting?

Do you have a large area of land to hunt?

Are you certain of the area in which it is buried?

Depending on your answers you could likely rent some equipment/people to search an area for you, and you wouldn't have to go through the learning curve of a metal detector.

If this however is more of a hunt and peck sort of thing, then that would change my answer.

You could range from a Garrett AT Pro or AT Gold or even an AT Max, to an XP Deus, to a Whites MXT, heck spend a bit more cash and go for a Minelab CTX 3030.

The range is huge and the possibilities are unlimited.

I would however look for a machine that would allow you to change to a large coil (like the CTX), as a 17" coil can give you extra depth in your search.

I also hear that the Nokta Impact is a great machine.

Hi!
Answering your questions, yes, just need to find this treasure. I'm sure about the location, it's a part of the family farm that measures around 80m x 30m.
I tried to find anybody to rent one professional metal detector. Bit here in Brazil there isnt any place to rent metal detectors..

OP
OP
B

brazilian

Greenie
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a used Minelab SD, GP, or GPX pulse induction metal detector. Nothing else in your price range will go deep enough. :skullflag:
I cant find used good machines in my country... Im going to Miami next momth and will try to find any used near there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm no expert but I would just get a pi machine and dig every single signal I found.

Ouch, that hurts even reading. Because while....sure .... those machines will "find everything" and ... yes .... "go deep", yet the devil is in the details. The poor guy will be stuck digging up every little teensy fleck till he goes bonkers (unless he's in metal free pristine location ?).

If you read the OP, you'll see that his suspected measurements of the size of the object is 11 to 12 inch square around. Hence a large dinner plate sized object. Hence a 2-box machine (like a TM 808) would have the inherent ability to avoid any object smaller than a soda can, and strictly go for large-objects at depth.

OP
OP
B

brazilian

Greenie
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch, that hurts even reading. Because while....sure .... those machines will "find everything" and ... yes .... "go deep", yet the devil is in the details. The poor guy will be stuck digging up every little teensy fleck till he goes bonkers (unless he's in metal free pristine location ?).

If you read the OP, you'll see that his suspected measurements of the size of the object is 11 to 12 inch square around. Hence a large dinner plate sized object. Hence a 2-box machine (like a TM 808) would have the inherent ability to avoid any object smaller than a soda can, and strictly go for large-objects at depth.
Tom, I loved your idea! I've seen the Garrett GTI 2500 Pro with Eagle Eye Searchcoil. What do you think? Its a 2x price White... Is much gain to make the price?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Garrett GTI 2500 Pro with Eagle Eye Searchcoil. What do you think? ....

I'm not a Garrett user (since 30-ish years ago). And Garretts no longer sell well amongst the hardcore in my part of the USA. So I have long-since lost track of their offerings. But a quick cursory look at google images of that tell me it's a Garrett capable of option of making into a 2-box, versus a standard coil. Right ?

If so, then the 2-box coils-option would probably be akin to a TM 808. And ... so ... would work. Because believe it or not, there's not a lot of variability differences between the 2-boxes over the generations and brands. Because, ironically, unlike standard detectors where "the more sensitive = the better", 2-box units have a different objective. So, ironically, the more sensitive is NOT 'better'. Ie.: you DON'T want it "sensitive enough" to find smaller targets. Deeper, sure. But smaller ? No. And unfortunately, when they increase sensitivity (to go "deeper"), the down-side is that you will likewise start to find smaller stuff (domino sized objects, etc....).

But rest assured: They can still all get dinner plate sized stuff to respectable depths. And if you really suspect a cache where you're hunting, and you really don't want to be bogged down chasing small stuff, then get a 2-box.

As for other things on that Garrett, I would not be too concerned about their imaging features (purporting to show size, etc....). Just rely on the audio of any big and deep target. The imaging feature is bound to be skewed. Eg.: a large object at deeper depths may show on the screen as a small object at lesser depths, etc....

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with xr7ator ,
3 feet down is going to eliminate a lot of Detectors, unless you spend the extra money on large coils for a Garrett , Minelab, ect
The Garrett ATX DeepSeeker has a 15x20" Deepseeker Mono Search Coil.
This is something to think about but as others have mentioned on this thread; (PI) your digging a lot
dennis

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...i was thinking GPR rental but it looks like your not in an area that has such a thing. GPR excluded i would go for an older Garrett ADS with the box coil set up.

OP
OP
B

brazilian

Greenie
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a Garrett user (since 30-ish years ago). And Garretts no longer sell well amongst the hardcore in my part of the USA. So I have long-since lost track of their offerings. But a quick cursory look at google images of that tell me it's a Garrett capable of option of making into a 2-box, versus a standard coil. Right ?

If so, then the 2-box coils-option would probably be akin to a TM 808. And ... so ... would work. Because believe it or not, there's not a lot of variability differences between the 2-boxes over the generations and brands. Because, ironically, unlike standard detectors where "the more sensitive = the better", 2-box units have a different objective. So, ironically, the more sensitive is NOT 'better'. Ie.: you DON'T want it "sensitive enough" to find smaller targets. Deeper, sure. But smaller ? No. And unfortunately, when they increase sensitivity (to go "deeper"), the down-side is that you will likewise start to find smaller stuff (domino sized objects, etc....).

But rest assured: They can still all get dinner plate sized stuff to respectable depths. And if you really suspect a cache where you're hunting, and you really don't want to be bogged down chasing small stuff, then get a 2-box.

As for other things on that Garrett, I would not be too concerned about their imaging features (purporting to show size, etc....). Just rely on the audio of any big and deep target. The imaging feature is bound to be skewed. Eg.: a large object at deeper depths may show on the screen as a small object at lesser depths, etc....
Dear fellow Tom,
Thank you so much for wasting your time giving me such valuable tips! Your experience gives me more confidence in choosing the equipment that I so desperately seek, once I need it. Your posts are extremely enlightening. I'm going to research more about this kind of detectors and I'll probably listen to you and go ahead and buy White's. thank you so much!

OP
OP
B

brazilian

Greenie
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...i was thinking GPR rental but it looks like your not in an area that has such a thing. GPR excluded i would go for an older Garrett ADS with the box coil set up.
I already tried to find good equipaments to rent but here we dont have this option... [emoji53]

OP
OP
B

brazilian

Greenie
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking for GPR rental in Brazil and when I search Georadar I found some companies. Is this possible to find a treasure with 12" x 12" in a not too deep? Find this with a GPR in less than 1m deep is possible?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread