what detector to get Help please

Yucon Cornelius

Sep 27, 2006
west virginia (wayne)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, whites eagle II
I am wanting a new detector so im asking the professionals. Currently i am using a bountyhunter 202. I have parkinsons disease so i usually stick to local parks n lake beaches. mostly coin n jewelery. high trash areas. im looking for simplicity, light weight, and easy pinpointing.
Any suggestions on a model. I was looking at the fisher f2. but im budgeting about $200-$500.
Thank you in advance
yucon

Check out Tesoro Silver Umax. Great little detector, light weight and easy to use with great depth. Monty

Monty said:
Check out Tesoro Silver Umax. Great little detector, light weight and easy to use with great depth. Monty

thans for the suggestion. i like reviews i have read on this unit. i will let you know if, when, i get one , n how i like it
thanks agaim

Don't know if you've bought a detector yet. You say you want easy pinpointing. Do you mean easier than the one you have? The Silver u/max Tesoro also requires motion for pinpointing. It does not have a display to give you probable target ID &depth, don't know if you need/want that or not.

Some feel a non-motion pinpoint makes it easier. But Garrett Ace 250 pinpoint is non-motion & still causes trouble for some. About $150 used, $212+ new. Needs to be used at 4 or 5 bar sensitivity to avoid falsing. Visual & tone ID, depth reading.

The Discovery 3300 is a lightweight detector with non-motion pinpoint, ID #s, optional 4" & 10" coils. It has a manual ground balance so I'm not sure if it's simple enough or not. They sell used for $150 or less.

Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II/Discovery 3000 is another you can buy for $100-125 used that has non-motion pinpoint, visual & tone ID, lightweight. Optional 4" & 10" coils. Not real impressive in air test in discrimination.

The Teknetics Delta 4000 sells new for $349. Seems like it should be pretty simple and it's definitely lightweight, has numerical ID. At maximum sensitivity it air tests 10" on a dime, great but will need to be turned down a bit usually.

The Fisher F5 is maybe or maybe not simple enough. Numerical ID, non-motion pinpoint, light. $499 new but used are seen fairly often $300-400. It will beep softly on a quarter in discrimination air test at 10". Press a button for auto ground balance now & then if it gets too far off the other # displayed.

The Minelab X-Terra 70 can be found used for $400-450. It may or may not be considered simple. I use it in the single tone mode, set to reject iron, foil & pulltabs, then just look at the numbers when it beeps. It has auto ground tracking that can be on or off. So you have to press a few buttons to start. You choose a sensitivity, the highest that is stable, about 18-22. Somewhat deeper than the Bounty Hunters mentioned. HH, George (MN)

Well after many changes of mind, i think i have settled on the tesoro deleon, i have a dealer holding me one for $325.oo shipped. (used)
A guy i hnted with used this detector and swears by it.

What do you think?

HH,
mike

PS
Thanks for all your suggestions

i have been offered a tesoro deleon for 325, and a fisher coinstrike for 450. i have heard the coinstrike is hard to use.
which of the two would be best for coinshooting parks, as well as old homesites.
i have a bountyhunter 202, and a whites eagle 2, the eagle 2 is just too heavy.

The X-Terra 70 (used) would be a great option.
Good allround machine.

Look into the fisher F2,Light weight fast easy to use and learn great on coins and it pinpoints dead on,good luck.

ace250 from kellyco.com $220.00 with accessories :thumbsup:

The DeLeon is a great choice. I wasn't sure how many bells and whistles you wanted. Your choice is the Silver Umax on steroids! Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back