What's new

What did I find?

Metal Illness

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2011
Messages
612
Reaction score
722
Golden Thread
0
Location
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on the surface a couple days ago Metal Detecting a field site with a homestead dating back to the 1830s. I'm not positive it is glass, It doesn't have a sheen to it. Could it be porcelain or china? I have found several clay marbles and I'm convinced it's not clay. Anyway I appreciate any info anyone can offer.

Thanks, Bill
 

Attachments

  • LCFieldMarble.webp
    LCFieldMarble.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 137
  • LCFieldMarble2.webp
    LCFieldMarble2.webp
    5.6 KB · Views: 130
  • LCFieldMarble3.webp
    LCFieldMarble3.webp
    3 KB · Views: 128
Hello Bill,

It's a lined crockery marble, often called a jasper. Time period is civil war era to early 1900s. Nice find!
 
Thank you Cheese, I didn't have a clue. Are they rare/valuable? Are the Clay marbles also from the same time period?

Thank you, Bill
 
They are more valuable than a common cateye or clay, but probably less than $10. They were made along the same time as clays but I think the manufacture of clays continued on a bit longer than these. Are you finding other good artifacts from the 1800s there? I'd be hitting it hard!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom