What's new

What did I throw away?

Barrydang

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Messages
297
Reaction score
1,160
Golden Thread
0
Location
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was on a you tubers channel and while the buttons are cool what caught my eye is in the center I have it
Circled. I found one of those and assumed it was something modern and I guess I tossed it. I can’t find it anyways. So I don’t know what I threw away but since he thought enough to display it with civil war buttons raised my concern. What do you think or know it is?
 

Attachments

  • FBAAAC66-4206-4CC8-B865-1EA429A1653A.webp
    FBAAAC66-4206-4CC8-B865-1EA429A1653A.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 180
Parasol tips (umbrella).
 
Upvote 0
Thanks atleast it wasn’t anything too good.
 
Upvote 0
You threw away a CW period parasol tip. Not a new one.
 
Upvote 0
save up a few boxes full of your brass bits and pieces , take them to a relic shop and see if they want any of it.if not off to the scrap yard. metal is never trash in my opinion.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't feel too bad; I used to throw away fired pinfire cartridges before I knew what they were. Like everyone suggested, keep anything unless you know it's trash. I still rifle through my "What Tha??" bucket on occasion.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah I am not proud to have thrown it away. Lessons learned some are easy some are hard. Doesn’t help when your digging for 1800’s stuff under 1950 and newer stuff. I know to hold on before quick judgements.
 
Upvote 0
Ouch I have a few boxes of what's its zi gotta look closer at live and learn
 
Upvote 0
Its ok one time I was detecting an old town and found a very small brass ring with the tiniest of shine on it, it was no bigger than an infants ring(Didn't think it was a ring at the time). Later going through my "scraps" I chucked it into the brass bucket.Two years later I found another infants ring at the site but this one had a little more gilt on it but had design and lettering it was also marked 10k, too green I though and hucked it yet again into the old bag...I get home later and use an eraser on the ring just to clean it up behold it really was gold. At the time I never though gold would come out of the ground solid green so I never though anything of it. Long story short I remembered that brass junk I found two years earlier and pulled a gold ring out of my brass bucket.Used a eraser on another two "costume rings" from the site and they were gold too. And your mad about an umbrella tip.........
 
Upvote 0
Its ok one time I was detecting an old town and found a very small brass ring with the tiniest of shine on it, it was no bigger than an infants ring(Didn't think it was a ring at the time). Later going through my "scraps" I chucked it into the brass bucket.Two years later I found another infants ring at the site but this one had a little more gilt on it but had design and lettering it was also marked 10k, too green I though and hucked it yet again into the old bag...I get home later and use an eraser on the ring just to clean it up behold it really was gold. At the time I never though gold would come out of the ground solid green so I never though anything of it. Long story short I remembered that brass junk I found two years earlier and pulled a gold ring out of my brass bucket.Used a eraser on another two "costume rings" from the site and they were gold too. And your mad about an umbrella tip.........
Not really mad and unlike me you went and fished them out of your brass bucket. I didn’t toss anything of any real value so I asked the question only cause I seen I threw out something older than I thought and was more curious about what it was.
 
Upvote 0
Not really mad and unlike me you went and fished them out of your brass bucket. I didn’t toss anything of any real value so I asked the question only cause I seen I threw out something older than I thought and was more curious about what it was.
Hah my bad always using the wrong context, I mean "and you though you made a mistake..."
 
Upvote 0
Don't feel bad Barry..I've done worse..much worse..:laughing7:

Back about 20 years ago I sold books on eBay, and did pretty good
at buying and selling. Was at my favorite thrift store one day and
saw several accounting textbooks from back in the 40's, and bought
three of the four that were there. Almost bought the fourth (it was
only $1) but put it back.

Got home and looked up the title of the one I passed on, and saw
that copies in the same condition were selling at $700+.

Immediately went back to the thrift store and by the time I got there
it had already been bought by someone. :censored: :BangHead: :censored:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom