What's new

What did the Beale Cipher 2 Key Look Like?

chalkoutline

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
679
Reaction score
279
Golden Thread
0
The 1885 pamphlet explains that Thomas Beale gave the ciphers to Robert Morris in a locked iron box and the KEY to those ciphers to a person in St. Louis. So what did the KEY look like?

To answer this question one must understand how the key was made. After Thomas Beale numbered the Declaration of Independence (DOI), he couldn’t just give the numbered DOI to that person but would have converted it to a smaller document that could be mailed to Robert Morris in the event of Thomas Beale’s death.

To do this he would have created a table with 26 columns where he put the letter of the alphabet at the top of each column. He would then go through the DOI finding all the numbers associated with A and copy them into the A column. He would continue this process for B to Z.

I have attached what I think the KEY looked like. It was during this effort that Thomas Beale copied numbers into the wrong column as shown with Red arrows. This is also when Thomas Beale assigned the number 1005 to the letter “X” and the number 811 to the letter “X”.

The numbers highlighted in BLUE are those letters used in the Cipher 2 message.

How fortunate are we that Robert Morriss was given the ciphers and not the KEY because no one would be able to reverse engineer the Cipher 2 message using the KEY!
 

Attachments

Interesting, but why does your key include all those unused numbers ?

Why not enclose in the mail the numbered DOI ? , It would surely fit if written on both sides of a single sheet of paper.

Why not, for example simply, briefly explain the method and give the details of the key_document(s) and where to start counting from ?
==========
Beale Ciphers Key Example.1)

Find the named document,
then count the words in the named document,
when the number of the named document word matches the number in the paper write down the 1st letter of the named document word.

Paper1 - Some_Book by Some_Author, publication date. Count from 'Some_text'.
Paper2 - The preamble to the Declaration of independence. Count from "When in the course".
Paper3 - Some_Book by Some_Author, publication date. Count from 'Some_text'.

Note: The details can be argued but this is just a general description of one method to create a Beale ciphers key.
==========
 
Interesting, but why does your key include all those unused numbers ?

Why not enclose in the mail the numbered DOI ? , It would surely fit if written on both sides of a single sheet of paper.

Why not, for example simply, briefly explain the method and give the details of the key_document(s) and where to start counting from ?
==========
Beale Ciphers Key Example.1)

Find the named document,
then count the words in the named document,
when the number of the named document word matches the number in the paper write down the 1st letter of the named document word.

Paper1 - Some_Book by Some_Author, publication date. Count from 'Some_text'.
Paper2 - The preamble to the Declaration of independence. Count from "When in the course".
Paper3 - Some_Book by Some_Author, publication date. Count from 'Some_text'.

Note: The details can be argued but this is just a general description of one method to create a Beale ciphers key.
==========
My Cipher 2 KEY includes all the numbers used to number the Declaration of Independence (DOI), both used and unused numbers because that what Thomas Beale would have started with. He would then have arbitrarily assigned numbers from the KEY to the corresponding letter in his message: 115, 73, 24, 807, etc. The numbers in yesterday's KEY that are highlighted in BLUE are those he assigned. So you can see he had many ways to create the final cipher of the message. However, you are right that the final key that ended in the St. Louis letter would have only had the assigned numbers.

For a simple substitution cipher, the cipher has numbers 115, 73, 24, 807 and the KEY is a the relation between letters and numbers: I=115, H=73, A=24, V=807. I was just pointing out that a table format would make the better format for the KEY.
 
Interesting, but why does your key include all those unused numbers ?

Why not enclose in the mail the numbered DOI ? , It would surely fit if written on both sides of a single sheet of paper.

Why not, for example simply, briefly explain the method and give the details of the key_document(s) and where to start counting from ?
==========
Beale Ciphers Key Example.1)

Find the named document,
then count the words in the named document,
when the number of the named document word matches the number in the paper write down the 1st letter of the named document word.

Paper1 - Some_Book by Some_Author, publication date. Count from 'Some_text'.
Paper2 - The preamble to the Declaration of independence. Count from "When in the course".
Paper3 - Some_Book by Some_Author, publication date. Count from 'Some_text'.

Note: The details can be argued but this is just a general description of one method to create a Beale ciphers key.
==========
In response to why not enclosed the numbered DOI...i determined that DOI used to create Cipher 2 came from an 1820 book. This DOI appears on 5 pages with no room to write numbers above the words which meant it had to be copied to a separate paper leaving spaces for numbers. I estimate the handwritten version would take 10 to 15 pages. So you are right, he could have enclosed the numbered DOI. However, the handwritten key i attached would only take 4 pages at most.

I assumed after making the key he would want to destroy the numbered DOI for added security but that is my assumption. We'll never know.
 
In response to why not enclosed the numbered DOI...i determined that DOI used to create Cipher 2 came from an 1820 book. This DOI appears on 5 pages with no room to write numbers above the words which meant it had to be copied to a separate paper leaving spaces for numbers. I estimate the handwritten version would take 10 to 15 pages. So you are right, he could have enclosed the numbered DOI. However, the handwritten key i attached would only take 4 pages at most.

I assumed after making the key he would want to destroy the numbered DOI for added security but that is my assumption. We'll never know.
How do you know "Cipher 2 came from an 1820 book." My thought is it would be a document like the DOI that would be a part of history IE: of great importance. Thank you for your time.
 
How do you know "Cipher 2 came from an 1820 book." My thought is it would be a document like the DOI that would be a part of history IE: of great importance. Thank you for your time.
I don't believe TB numbered an actual document but rather copied the DOI to a separate paper leaving room for numbering. While copying TB skipped words which resulted in the numbering being off by 1 in three locations: 245, 625 and 688. He also skipped a line resulting in the numbering being off by 10 at location 485.

There is still a problem...it appears TB mis-numbered his copied words. But why?
I determined he actually didn't but rather he used a DOI which had extra words. The letter A at location 157 and the word "meantime " was separated "mean time".
This is shown in the Beale Decoder tab 1820 DOI.
I only found these inconsistencies in the 1820 book.

It also made sense with TB's travels a book would be more convenient. The book also contains other documents he could have used for Cipher 1 and 3.

I hope that makes sense if not feel free to ask more questions
 
Last edited:
I don't believe TB numbered an actual document but rather copied the DOI to a separate paper leaving room for numbering. While copying TB skipped words which resulted in the numbering being off by 1 in three locations: 245, 625 and 688. He also skipped a line resulting in the numbering being off by 10 at location 485.

There is still a problem...it appears TB mis-numbered his copied words. But why?
I determined he actually didn't but rather he used a DOI which had extra words. The letter A at location 157 and the word "meantime " was separated "mean time".
This is shown in the Beale Decoder tab 1820 DOI.
I only found these inconsistencies in the 1820 book.

It also made sense with TB's travels a book would be more convenient. The book also contains other documents he could have used for Cipher 1 and 3.

I hope that makes sense if not feel free to ask more questions
Here is the link to the 1820 book

 
How do you know "Cipher 2 came from an 1820 book." My thought is it would be a document like the DOI that would be a part of history IE: of great importance. Thank you for your time.
To answer the second part of you question...i made the same assumption that the document was an important document like the DOI but most of those documents have headers, section numbers, article numbers, etc. Which is the case of the other constitutions in in 1820 book.

The only documents that had similar formatting as the DOI, are the treatise of Cicero mentioned in my post "could TB used Latin?"

Cicero and Latin was taught in the first colleges in VA where TB was educated.
DOI was inspired by Cicero's writings.
 
To answer the second part of you question...i made the same assumption that the document was an important document like the DOI but most of those documents have headers, section numbers, article numbers, etc. Which is the case of the other constitutions in in 1820 book.

The only documents that had similar formatting as the DOI, are the treatise of Cicero mentioned in my post "could TB used Latin?"

Cicero and Latin was taught in the first colleges in VA where TB was educated.
DOI was inspired by Cicero's writings.
TJB served in Confederation army together with Thomas Jefferson's grandson.
 
TJB served in Confederation army together with Thomas Jefferson's grandson.
According to the 1885 pamphlet, Thomas Beale was well educated which indicates he came from a family of wealth. Robert Morriss indicated TB came from west of Lynchburg. There was only one Beale family that fits this description: Tavenor Beale family. I attached a transcribed Will which shows that when Tavenor died in 1810, he was a wealthy man. I bolded the inheritance for Thomas Beale [Sr]. He received 5 shillings. It is his son, Thomas Beale Jr who i believe is the person whom the treasure revolves.

TB Jr. attended liberty hall academy about 1809 along with his cousin George and James. He learned Latin and read Cicero.

TB Jr eventually joined his father in New Orleans where he died in 1823.
 

Attachments

I don't believe TB numbered an actual document but rather copied the DOI to a separate paper leaving room for numbering. While copying TB skipped words which resulted in the numbering being off by 1 in three locations: 245, 625 and 688. He also skipped a line resulting in the numbering being off by 10 at location 485.

There is still a problem...it appears TB mis-numbered his copied words. But why?
I determined he actually didn't but rather he used a DOI which had extra words. The letter A at location 157 and the word "meantime " was separated "mean time".
This is shown in the Beale Decoder tab 1820 DOI.
I only found these inconsistencies in the 1820 book.

It also made sense with TB's travels a book would be more convenient. The book also contains other documents he could have used for Cipher 1 and 3.

I hope that makes sense if not feel free to ask more questions
Like i said, Im a Tenderfoot.. lol that makes a lot of seance. I have petty much read up on all the posts on this site last night so I have better understanding much work you all have and are putting in to this. I will try not to ask to many obvious questions.. I read someone was looking for a local Bedford place to find a bunch of Beale documents. Has anyone been to the "Bedford County Museum and Genealogical Library"? I just read an articles about a man going here and was a hand full of books and folders full of letters and documents involving TB.
 
Like i said, Im a Tenderfoot.. lol that makes a lot of seance. I have petty much read up on all the posts on this site last night so I have better understanding much work you all have and are putting in to this. I will try not to ask to many obvious questions.. I read someone was looking for a local Bedford place to find a bunch of Beale documents. Has anyone been to the "Bedford County Museum and Genealogical Library"? I just read an articles about a man going here and was a hand full of books and folders full of letters and documents involving TB.
I tried reaching out several times and they don't respond due to many inquiries. You would probably have to go in person.

I attached my list of books from the library hall academy where the Tavenor Beale descendants went to college.
 

Attachments

To answer the second part of you question...i made the same assumption that the document was an important document like the DOI but most of those documents have headers, section numbers, article numbers, etc. Which is the case of the other constitutions in in 1820 book.

The only documents that had similar formatting as the DOI, are the treatise of Cicero mentioned in my post "could TB used Latin?"

Cicero and Latin was taught in the first colleges in VA where TB was educated.
DOI was inspired by Cicero's writings.
I did read the post about the Latin possibility. That does have some plausibility to it. Is there anywhere posted pics of the other documents mentioned (Does not pertain)? I am curios. Some times the oddest and seemingly less likely something appliers at first, my be important later. IE: if it was doodles, drawings, scratches of words. this alone may be an unforeseen clue to the Book(s), documents, ect.. just my two cents. I have been bouncing from site to site. I did find a Historical Document site: https://www.archives.gov/milestone-documents/list# One document is from 1814- Treaty of Ghent. Thanks to your spreadsheet, (it saved me hours) but turned out fruitless. however, there are many documents the concern War, Virginia, and so on. now i have your updated Excel, this will make it so much faster. Also, Thomas Jefferson, interesting this is the name he went with. Could this be a them with him? IE: using publishing's from TJ? I understand this is not the general train of thought, but it will keep me busy.. lol a T.J. site - https://www.monticello.org/research-education/thomas-jefferson-encyclopedia/category/writings/
Thanks for the feed back.
 
I did read the post about the Latin possibility. That does have some plausibility to it. Is there anywhere posted pics of the other documents mentioned (Does not pertain)? I am curios. Some times the oddest and seemingly less likely something appliers at first, my be important later. IE: if it was doodles, drawings, scratches of words. this alone may be an unforeseen clue to the Book(s), documents, ect.. just my two cents. I have been bouncing from site to site. I did find a Historical Document site: https://www.archives.gov/milestone-documents/list# One document is from 1814- Treaty of Ghent. Thanks to your spreadsheet, (it saved me hours) but turned out fruitless. however, there are many documents the concern War, Virginia, and so on. now i have your updated Excel, this will make it so much faster. Also, Thomas Jefferson, interesting this is the name he went with. Could this be a them with him? IE: using publishing's from TJ? I understand this is not the general train of thought, but it will keep me busy.. lol a T.J. site - https://www.monticello.org/research-education/thomas-jefferson-encyclopedia/category/writings/
Thanks for the feed back.
Thomas Jefferson had a huge personal library. You should be able to find a list of books/documents.

Since I focused on Tavenor Beale I tried to locate remnants of his personal library in Iron Gate or Clifton Forge, VA.

I found most of my books i converted on Google Books. Occasionally I used Project Gutenberg.
 
Thomas Jefferson had a huge personal library. You should be able to find a list of books/documents.

Since I focused on Tavenor Beale I tried to locate remnants of his personal library in Iron Gate or Clifton Forge, VA.

I found most of my books i converted on Google Books. Occasionally I used Project Gutenberg.
I've only looked at Cicero's writings and focused on those that inspired the founding fathers.

Cicero's writings on natural law, particularly "De Officiis" (On Duties) and the fragments of "De Re Publica" (On the Republic), significantly influenced the Declaration of Independence. The concepts of natural law, inherent rights, and the importance of right reason in governance, as explored by Cicero, resonated with the American Founders and informed their thinking on the nature of government and the justification for revolution.


You can google and get a complete list.
 
I've only looked at Cicero's writings and focused on those that inspired the founding fathers.

Cicero's writings on natural law, particularly "De Officiis" (On Duties) and the fragments of "De Re Publica" (On the Republic), significantly influenced the Declaration of Independence. The concepts of natural law, inherent rights, and the importance of right reason in governance, as explored by Cicero, resonated with the American Founders and informed their thinking on the nature of government and the justification for revolution.


You can google and get a complete list.
Once again, the founding fathers were well educated and would have learned Latin and read cicero
 
I tried reaching out several times and they don't respond due to many inquiries. You would probably have to go in person.

I attached my list of books from the library hall academy where the Tavenor Beale descendants went to college.
That is some serious reading. Poetry, arts, Latin, Major deep philosophical religious topics.
Tavenor Beale has some interesting relatives. This is an old family name. And as someone mentioned in one of these posts, This may not even be his real name.
 
That is some serious reading. Poetry, arts, Latin, Major deep philosophical religious topics.
Tavenor Beale has some interesting relatives. This is an old family name. And as someone mentioned in one of these posts, This may not even be his real name.
The first two colleges in VA were William and Mary in Richmond and liberty hall academy in Lexington. The library at William and Mary burned down and all books were lost from the early 1800.

The list i provided were the surviving books from liberty hall academy after a fire about 1803. I confirmed the grandchildren of Tavenor Beale attended LHA.

My thinking was...TB may have used one of these books....Cicero

Andrew Jackson also attended LHA.
 
I did read the post about the Latin possibility. That does have some plausibility to it. Is there anywhere posted pics of the other documents mentioned (Does not pertain)? I am curios. Some times the oddest and seemingly less likely something appliers at first, my be important later. IE: if it was doodles, drawings, scratches of words. this alone may be an unforeseen clue to the Book(s), documents, ect.. just my two cents. I have been bouncing from site to site. I did find a Historical Document site: https://www.archives.gov/milestone-documents/list# One document is from 1814- Treaty of Ghent. Thanks to your spreadsheet, (it saved me hours) but turned out fruitless. however, there are many documents the concern War, Virginia, and so on. now i have your updated Excel, this will make it so much faster. Also, Thomas Jefferson, interesting this is the name he went with. Could this be a them with him? IE: using publishing's from TJ? I understand this is not the general train of thought, but it will keep me busy.. lol a T.J. site - https://www.monticello.org/research-education/thomas-jefferson-encyclopedia/category/writings/
Thanks for the feed back.
Keep in mind Cipher 1 uses the number 2901 which is approximately 25 pages so the document is quite large possibly a book.
 
Keep in mind Cipher 1 uses the number 2901 which is approximately 25 pages so the document is quite large possibly a book.
I believe you meant 2906 as that is the highest cipher in Code Paper #1. There are/was 1453 columns in King Solomon's Temple. A 1/2 column is a pilaster and therefore there are/was 2906 pilasters in King Solomon's Temple.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom