What do we call ourselves????

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Different people here on the forum have different specialties. Coinshooters, prospectors, treasure hunters, salvagers, etc..
I used to consider myself a coinshooter, but now with the research I have compiled and sites I have started working myself, as well as with others, would consider myself a treasure hunter.
xXx

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I relic Hunt, but usually end up with Coins too. I have never found a Real treasure, At Least Non of the ones I'm looking for. but would
like to.

? SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO---->

whenever anyone asks me what I do,

? ?I just say Treasure Hunter

wallycoz

Oct 3, 2004
Biloxi, Mississippi
We are ALL Treasure Hunters... Just that one persons' view of "Treasure" may be different than that of someone else's. Whether it is a huge gold cache or a few clad coins on the beach or a class ring on a return trip to its owner, it is still the finder's treasure, even if only for a short time!

Call it what you may... We ALL know the real answer ;)

wallycoz

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi all, I prefer treasure hunter. Even though I am a coin collector and coins are my preference, all my detector finds are special. I just hope to hit it big one of these days!!!! Good luck to all ;D
HH
Greg

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
I have often thought that we needed a definitive name to call ourselves.

If you say that you are a "coinshooter" to someone who knows nothing about the hobby & they will look at you funny.

If you call yourself a "treasure hunter" ... they will think you are just way too full of yourself. It sounds way too grandiose for what we do. Yeah, we do find little "treasures" ::) , but "treasure hunter" just doesnt fit. (I never really liked the term treasure hunter as it has a unsavory or negative connotation to it).

"Metal detectorist" sounds awkward.

That being said.... "detectorist" is what i prefer given the alternatives.

We really DO need a definitive name for a person who enjoys the hobby of metal detecting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amateur Archeologist ? ;)

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
I prefer metal detectorist although it is a mouthful. I tend to think that "Treasure Hunter" has bad conotations to the uniformed public.

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
Metal detecting hobbyist, metal detecting enthusiast? or what is usually yelled? from passing cars .... "Metal Detecting DORK!!" :D

Attachments

• moddedcartoonfinishedversion2.JPG
    moddedcartoonfinishedversion2.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 126

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Para professional treasure hunter here ;D

HH

Lonewolfe

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The orginal term is Bounty Hunter. (Bounty meaning treasure or reward.) That over time was taken over by people who hunt criminals.

HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions