What do yall think?

claw77

Greenie
Aug 19, 2012
I found this piece of petrified wood with what looks like finger wear marks on them . Found it where a tank was dug out during a bad drought last summer. The tank was dug out deeper and the dirt was pushed up on the dam. I found the piece after a good rain. Looks like it was used for some type of tool at one time. The piece fits perfectly with your index finger and middle finger an has a wore spot on the back where the thumb would rest as seen in the photo. Its only shiny and smooth where the finger looking spots are. Any ideas on what it might be or if it is even an artifact?

Attachments

• image-4014423883.jpg
    image-4014423883.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 126
  • image-2183393226.jpg
    image-2183393226.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2371169094.jpg
    image-2371169094.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
Appears it may be a hand-held cap stone (socket) for a bow drill...BOW DRILL.jpg

Last edited:
It's just a rock and not an artifact. I don't see anything that would make me think it was ever altered by man.

Those are not "finger marks".

It's not a Capstone. It's to small for that.

The end looks as if its been ground smooth at an angle. I'm not sure cause I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to rocks. All the other edges are rough. I just don't know why the rock would have two glossy holes almost rubbed into it, with a divider between them. I have found many other petrified wood rocks and none with indentions like these. I will measure it to see its exact size. It was probably around 4 to 6 feet deep where the dirt I found it in came from.

I'm pretty sure something made that happen...but I'm also pretty sure it wasn't a person.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back