What's new

What do you consider heavy?

snorks

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
95
Reaction score
40
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do most of us here consider heavy when thinking in terms of detectors? I run a F75 about 1.6KG. That for me is about the maximum for a capable comfortable swing all day type detector.
I see the new Nokta impact is 1.8kg and it already loses its appeal. The Nokta Fors is also about 1.8kg.
Some people say "its well balanced so you dont feel the weight" but for me its a bit like gears on a bicycle....you still have to pedal, no matter how many gears you have....
I personally find the upper range minelabs quite heavy. People say "use a harness" but that puts another spin on my style of detecting.

So, the questions are 1) are most of us as concerned about weight as I am?

2) what weight do you consider is just too much?

Cheers
 
I've used a number of machines; some obviously heavier than others.
The way the individual companies built the machines from design to market must have been a consideration in the final mass, but good balance and distribution of weight helps too.
The light and light coil machines seemed to cause me to swing a little faster and walk quicker too. Heavy units and coils slow me down and I seem to dig a bit more when in the heart of a site.
I relic hunt so I have a pretty meaty shovel to balance my weighty machine on the opposite side.
I enjoy the workout that comes with detecting and carrying my equipment with me is just a part of it.
 
I went from a Fisher F4 2.6 lbs to the F75 at 3.5 lbs and it took me a while to get used to the additional weight. I can swing it all day now unless I decide to mount the 12" x 15" SEF coil. Then I can swing it for about 2 hours max. If I plan on hunting with the large coil all day I use my makeshift harness which neutralizes the weight and makes it an easy swing.

I guess what I am getting at is anything over 3.5 pounds is heavy to me.
 
I used a at pro for a few years until I bought my deus, now my at feels heavy
 
weight balance has a lot more impact than actual weight. My CTX is heavier than my old E-Trac, but I can swing the CTX all day, The E-Trac killed me after a couple hours.
 
My E-Trac wears my arm out after awhile but I am stubborn and don't want to wear a sling.
 
I swing a CTX, they are a little heavy but the balance compared to my ATPro makes up for it. Soon as I find a bullet or nice Confederat button at 10 or 12 inches, it becomes weightless.

HH, RN
 
While a long day of hunting a machines weight is a factor, I have another take. I say this because I've been detecting since the mid 60's and machines back then where 5 lbs ++. I watch todays hunters wandering hunt sites for hours, standing over potential targets, waving, waving waving the loop, looking, checking the numbers, moving on. Waving the loop, checking, moving on. A whole lot of hunting, not much digging. Every time you dig, your not swinging that weight. Every time you dig your giving your arm a rest. Every time you dig your using a different muscle set. Every time you dig you potentially find something worthwhile. Every time you dig and find some thing, anything your furthering your detecting education. I say, more digging less scanning and moving on. Digging is good, do more of it. Try one time putting a bag over that screen and using your ears.
 
I like my F-75 for it's lightness; but as others have said it can be a matter of balance. If the handle is at about the center of gravity/balance point, maybe a bit coil-heavy, you don't notice the weight so much (IMHO). As long as my finds pouch is heavy by the end of the day I don't mind some exercise.

My old Minelab Musketeer has the clever option of the control unit w/batteries unhooking from the shaft so it can be worn in the (included) shoulder bag. That made for a very light unit.
 
I'm not a whiner but an old Sovereign with the stock s rod, 15 in coil, box cover, home made stand, meter, and sunray probe gets heavy after a half day or so.
 
I was swinging a Garrett Master Hunter CX II for a few years. That thing weighed about 6 pounds.
Then I purchased the AT PRO, which only weighs
3.3 pounds. I lightened that up by downsizing the the 8 x 11 coil to the 8 x 5 coil.
I purchased an Etrac to see if it would increase my silver finds. The Etrac weighs 4.8 lbs. but is well balanced. It really locks in on silver and tripled the number of silver finds I made in it's first year. I was really okay with the extra pound because I was finding lots of silver. Then I stepped up to the CTX.
The CTX weighs 5.2 lbs but again it is well balanced.
It is water proof and really took away the fear of getting the Etrac wet.
Then I switched to the DEUS. It is weightless.
I also have 2 Excaliburs which I use in the water.
The Excalibur weighs 5.1 lbs but I use the hip mount kit. Once you get in the water,, they too are weightless.
 
Last edited:
While a long day of hunting a machines weight is a factor, I have another take. I say this because I've been detecting since the mid 60's and machines back then where 5 lbs ++. I watch todays hunters wandering hunt sites for hours, standing over potential targets, waving, waving waving the loop, looking, checking the numbers, moving on. Waving the loop, checking, moving on. A whole lot of hunting, not much digging. Every time you dig, your not swinging that weight. Every time you dig your giving your arm a rest. Every time you dig your using a different muscle set. Every time you dig you potentially find something worthwhile. Every time you dig and find some thing, anything your furthering your detecting education. I say, more digging less scanning and moving on. Digging is good, do more of it. Try one time putting a bag over that screen and using your ears.

Yeah, today's detectors a re lightweight toys compared to the steel boxed behemoths we used to carry.
 
I thought my minelab xterra was heavy compared to my Teknetics omega- until I got my Safari which is a bit over 4 lbs with battery. I run a light bungee from my detecting bag/belt to a carabeener
Zip-tied to the detector shaft near the handle. It takes a lot of the weight off and isn't as intrusive as a harness
 
I can swing my Garrett AT-Pro for at least 8 hours, with the stock 8.5x11 coil, but if I go much heavier, say my Garrett GTI-2500 with the 12.5-inch coil, that gets heavy, fast. I have a straight shaft for a couple of my PI machines, so it's a matter of balance there. For my ATX I use a bungee strap; as it is just too heavy otherwise.

As foiler pointed out, more time spent digging and less time swinging, or at least taking breaks from it will really help. If I'm coin hunting I can go all day, like I mentioned, but on some cache hunts with targets far and few between it can get pretty tiresome. In the gold fields it really makes me appreciate the light weight Fisher Gold Bug II.

So for the math, my AT-Pro weighs 3.03 pounds, and my GTI-2500 (with the stock 9.5-inch coil) weighs 4.6 pounds, so I would have to say anything much above the 4.6 pounds I consider heavy, and I prefer less than 4, as I like to be able to detect all day.
 
Balance makes a big difference. Most machines over three pounds feel too heavy for me, but my Tiger Shark weighs around 4 and is fine to swing for hours because the control box can be mounted at the top of the rod behind the arm grip. This balances out the weight of the coil and you don't feel the weight.
 
When I'm not finding anything, all detector's feel heavy, When I'm finding some really good items, they all feel weightless. I understand more digging, less swinging, but I tell ya, after awhile, my legs-----
 
I went from Fisher F-2 to Teknetics T2, felt like a huge difference at first. I have 15" coil, never use it due to weight.
 
I had purchased a new Tesoro Mojave and should have it in one or two days. It is light and easy to use. Wish me luck and good hunting.
 
I had purchased a new Tesoro Mojave and should have it in one or two days. It is light and easy to use. Wish me luck and good hunting.

I have heard good things about the Mojave. Have fun with it and good luck.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom